Chapter 4

Dario was standing in front of a large pine tree placed in the middle of the town which will be decorated soon for Christmas

Dario was standing in front of a large pine tree placed in the middle of the town which will be decorated soon for Christmas. How did he get here? The girl said it was magic but Dario was still skeptical.

The girl covered Dario's eyes by placing her hand on his eyes and the next time he opened his eyes he was in the middle of the town, invisible to everyone passing by. He was definite he had too many drinks for dinner to believe this is real.

Like everything happening to him tonight, he wouldn't be shocked to find himself in the middle of the town in his slippers, house clothes, and the girl next to him. The town was covered in snow and here he was not dressed in appropriate attire with a girl who was immune to cold as she was wearing only a short dress.
"You were warming your hands back home. And here you are walking around with nothing but a short chiffon dress. Aren't you cold now?" Asks Dario.
"I am a little cold but it's ok," says the girl and holds his hand and says "come let's see how the locals celebrate Christmas"
"I am not interested in that," says Dario.
"Oh come on. Aren't you a little curious how other people live in your little town?" Asks the girl and Dario simply says "no"
"You should know. Most of them work for you" says the girl and walks him through the town.

The shops were ready to be closed for the day and the people were heading home after a long day of work.
Dario looks around and spots a little boy crying. He walks close to them to know why the boy was crying and hears the boy cry "why can't I have that toy?"
"I am sorry love, I can't buy you that this year. Maybe soon" says the mother.
"But it's Christmas. Won't you buy me any gifts?" Asks the boy.
"We can't afford much this year. We have to cut down on a lot of the festivity as your father didn't get the Christmas bonus this year. I promise I'll try to buy it soon for you" says the mother but the boy continues to cry and runs away.
Dario watches the mother who had a sad face and then watches her look down at the ring on her finger and bite her lower lip. Dario knew what she was thinking.
"She will sell her ring in exchange for money to buy her son the gift. The sacrifices mothers do for their children, just to see a smile on their lips is astonishing " comments the girl.
Dario ignores the girl and walks away.

"What's a bonus that woman was talking about?" Asks the girl.
"Christmas bonus is money given during Christmas to workers and staff," says Dario.
"Why didn't they receive the bonus?" Asks the girl.
"I had my reasons to not give bonus this year. These people can't afford to put food on their table on some days and then spend unthinkable amounts on gifts, clothes, and what, not for Christmas. I think it's just a waste of money" says Dario.
"If they save money, they will have more money," says the girl.
"Yes," says Dario.
"More savings means more money and they will be rich. So that will make them happy?" Asks the girl.
"Yes. No money problem means they will be happy" says Dario.
"You are rich, are you happy?" Asks the girl and Dario stops walking and doesn't answer her.
"These workers earn this money to spend as they wish. May they be happy or not. Waste the money or not. But you had no right to take their hard-earned bonuses from them" says the girl.

Dario looks at the girl and says "you. You are sent by these workers to manipulate me to believe I am hallucinating and give them the bonuses. Now I get it. It's a plan to make me give all of them money"
"Maybe or maybe they prayed to god to convince you to do the right thing and god sent me to show you what you have done. But I am no one to make you do anything. I am here to show you that even though many can't afford basic things and do not have much to celebrate Christmas. Their Christmas spirit still shines bright as the star on top the Christmas tree" says the girl and looks behind Dario still smiling.

Dario turns to look behind and sees the little girl who sold him the porcelain doll packing their little set up with her mother. Both looked exhausted and walk away, pulling a wagon with all their things.
The next thing Dario sees is this little family seated around a small pile of money that had a lot of coins and singles.
"We made good money. Angel, it was your idea to sell the ceramics. It's only fair you buy something for yourself first. What do you want?" Asks her father.
"Daddy, I dont want anything. If we have extra money, we should give it to someone who wants it and they too can have Christmas" says Angel.
"I am so proud of you," says her father and hugs her with his wife and son.

"Now that's a very rich kid" comments the girl beside Dario.
He turns away from the family and marches towards his mansion.
"Where are you going? We still have so many families to see" says the girl running behind him trying to keep up with his long slides.
Dario stops walking and turns to the girl and says "look girl, now I see everything, clearly. You were sent by these people to make me believe I am losing my mind and force me to pay these people their bonuses. You may have a few tricks up your sleeves and make me believe you have some kind of magic but I am not falling for your play. I am a practical person and I don't believe in magic and angels. My wife is dead and she died in my arms. You can't be Julie cause Julie accepted me and my ways and loved me as much as I loved her. So, go back to where you came from, cause I am not falling for anything you say. Also, dare you trespass. I will not hesitate to call cops"

The girl smirks at Dario and says "you loved her, I never doubted that. But you will pay the people their bonuses. I will make you,"
"Try" challenges Dario and walks to his mansion.

Julie King (20yrs old)