Chapter Nine

Gunnar: We need to talk

Beau walked out of Dr. Kita's office and he felt lighter.

His sessions were three times a week for an hour and a half. He felt so ignorant and close-minded because he didn't think to get help after what happened.

It was better late than never.

He looked back at Gunnar's message from seven a.m. and thought about it.

Gunnar wasn't the most tech-savvy, nor did he have a good telephone presence. If he was happy, you couldn't tell. If he was angry, you couldn't tell.

Beau: I hear ya.

He sent the message and drove to town.

He walked into Jingle Jam and the warm smell of vanilla and cocoa filled his nostrils.

"Nice seeing you, Beau,"

Tatum walked around the corner with a snarky smirk.

Beau nodded at him and checked out the menu. "You too."

The cashier looked between them and giggled. "What can I get you?"

"Medium decaf with two creams and one sugar. And a scone, thank you." Beau answered and handed her a ten-dollar bill. "Keep the change," He told her and walked to a table to sit and wait.

Tatum followed him and stood next to the table.

Beau didn't want to give Tatum attention. He was a good man, but having Honeydew around turned him into a show pony.

"You know, I thought you'd be real competition when it came to Honeydew," Tatum said mockingly.

Beau almost scoffed at Tatum's attempt to sway him. From what he knew, Honeydew had no interest in Tatum.

He was a friend and nothing more.

And though it'd been a few weeks since he saw Honeydew, Beau knew that his words and actions had a lasting effect.

"What?"

Tatum laughed. "We went out yesterday. She was giggling and swooning at me. It was like she'd never met you." He said with a clever smile.

"Decaf coffee and scone is up!" The cashier called out as Beau's mind filled with confusion.

He stood up and got his order. "Thanks," He told the cashier and walked out of the cafe.

"What the heck is going on?" Beau asked himself.

Tatum wasn't a liar. He was honest and a good man. A little weird, but he was good.

Was Honeydew into Tatum?

He hoped not.

Beau shook his head to clear his mind and walked to Gunnar's shop.