Chapter 28 - Just Dandy-lion

I woke up to some light meows to my left. I could still feel Nightmare's weight laying next to me in the bed. I groaned and sat up in the bed.

Last nights memories started to flood my thoughts as I slowly started to wake up. The stupid games we had played around the castle. The thanksgiving dinner itself was amazing. Horror's cooking was fantastic.

The thought of food made my stomach grumble. I placed my hand on my stomach to stop the grumbling, as if that'd work in the first place. I bit my bottom lip and looked over at Nightmare. He seemed to be peacefully sleeping.

I slipped off the covers and glanced around the bed, trying to find a way to quietly leave. I sat up and crouched on the bed, crawling past Nightmare. The bed sheets shuffled underneath me, and I swung my legs around to place them on the ground. As I did, I placed my arms to my side on the bed for support, accidentally putting my hand on Nightmare's leg.

His one eye socket shot open and stared at me. It sent shivers down my spine, and I was frozen in place. I clenched my teeth and Nightmare's expression relaxed at my shocked and spooked expression. I let out a sigh of relief and stood up.

"I'm going to make breakfast. Do you want anything specific?" I turned around to face Nightmare entirely, who was now sitting on the bed instead of laying. He still looked tired and his eye socket was drooped.

"No. Anything you make I like." I felt my face heat up a bit at his opinion on my cooking. He sat staring at me with a tired expression for a few seconds, not realizing what he said. As soon as he did realize. His eye socket widened a bit, and a light teal was brushed across his cheek bones.

He turned away quickly and scoffed. He laid back against the headboard of the bed and sighed. "A-Alright then. I'll make some waffles." I opened the door and made my way out of the room quickly. I shut the door with a light slam and leaned against the door for a second.

I tried to calm myself down a bit. While it was a simple and unintentional compliment, it still sent me into a blushing frenzy. I waited for my face to cool off so that I could focus when I was making the food. I stood in the hallway for a few more seconds even after my face was cooled off.

I fee as if what Nightmare said was intentional on some level...

I shook off the thought and made my way downstairs to make the waffles.

...

I had finished the waffles and had set the table. I was making my way up the stairs when I heard a crash coming from my room. I dashed up the stairs making my way to my room, almost falling a few times. I burst the door open and quickly glanced around my room for a blob of black anywhere.

Nightmare was laying on the ground with a lamp on top of his chest. The lamp was shattered and in many pieces, even a piece was sticking into his jacket.

"What happened here?" I crouched down next to Nightmare and he sat up. The lamp slid off of his and into his lap.

"I was trying to make something for ya. Clearly, I've made a mess and failed." A faint grin was on his face, but clear annoyance was placed in the grin as well. He sighed and got ready to stand up.

Rain meowed right behind him and rubbed up against his ankle. The annoyance in his grin disappeared, but then was quickly replaced with embarrassment. He stood up and Rain continued to rub up against him.

I picked up the pieces of the lamp and placed them on the nightstand. Nightmare didn't bother to help, and instead looked down at me, watching me clean.