01

It was 6:00 pm that evening

It was 6:00 pm that evening. It was getting dark, cold, and most especially lonely. The sun was setting, making way for the night. The clouds were getting darker and it looked like it was going to rain.

Lisa stood there in the cemetery with a bunch of flowers in her hand. She shivered as the cold breeze caressed her face. Her hazel eyes shone like they were made of stars and her long black hair danced in the wind.

She wore a long sleeve blouse, with a figure hugging knee-length skirt, dressed in all black. She didn't only look beautiful but also very sexy, sexy enough to have anyone spraining their necks while turning to look at her.

Her jawdropping hourglass figure, flawless smooth skin, and soft kissable lips coupled with her Doe hazel eyes made her look so goddamn alluring. So irresistible.

Beautiful and happy on the outside but dead on the inside. Her heart was surrounded by tall walls of ice to keep people out. To prevent her from being vulnerable again.

Standing with a bunch of flowers in her hand in front of a gravestone, with RIP Amanda Manoban written on it. Amanda, her mother, died six years ago in a car accident with her husband, Daniel, and their only child together, Lea.

She stood there, frozen to the spot, staring at her mother's grave which was right next to her stepfather's and sister's. She felt a teardrop roll down her cheek. Wiping it off, she tried to compose herself but all her attempts failed as tears kept rolling down her cheeks, silently sobbing. The pain was still fresh as ever in her heart, not that it would ever lessen. The pain got even worse each passing year.

She sat on the lush grass as her legs didn't have the strength to support her anymore. It had been six years since her mother died. Six years since she lost her but it still felt like yesterday when she received the news of her mother's tragic accident.

She remembers it all too well, she was eighteen and in college when she got the call from her Auntie Elsa. Her auntie sounded devastated and helpless over the phone. she had also heard the voice of her cousin Diana, trying to calm her mother down.

She couldn't think straight anymore at that time, with her thoughts being shredded into pieces of mumbo jumbo, not understanding anything then. Tears rolled down her face and her phone fell through her fingers with the screen cracking in the process.

She remembered feeling like she was locked in a dark room, with the atmosphere becoming unbearably stuffy. Making it very difficult to breathe. She had cried and mourned for her mother and sister for so long that she became trapped in her sorrow.

She became a shadow of the person she once was; happy, friendly, and social. She started shutting her doors to people, pushing them all away. All her friends abandoned her just like she wanted except her two bestfriends, who chose to stay with her even though she started acting like a little bitch.

They stood by her despite how hard she pushed them away, how harsh and cold she treated them. They still stayed, never leaving her side even once, caring for her all the way.

She knew if she hadn't done that she wouldn't be able to separate the weed from the wheat, the fake from the real ones. The ones that weren't just friends with her for what they could get from her but were friends with her because they liked her for who she is. None of her so-called friends knew about her mother's death.

Hell, none of them even knew Amanda was her birth mother as they all identified her father's wife, Regina, as her real mother. Well everyone except her family members and those two. Not that it was hard to believe, Regina practically spoiled Lisa with anything a person could ask for. The only issue was the resemblance.

Lisa looked absolutely nothing like Regina and because Lisa's real mother was Asian, it led to her having a couple of unique Asian-like features. So while Regina was having pale white skin, with long curly red hair, big blue eyes, and came Irish descent, Lisa on the other hand had a more Asian look, with milky white skin, Doe Hazel eyes, and long black hair.

She knew people often racked their brains to understand how she could probably be
Regina's daughter when there wasn't even the slightest resemblance. They had seen her father, so they know who she got the Hazel eyes from but what about the rest of her?

Who does she take after? Were the questions on their minds but we're afraid to voice them out in fear of invoking Regina's wrath.

Some even concluded that she was adopted. Regina loved her as her daughter and she regards her as someone very important to her as they were practical mother and daughter, so those busy-bodies might as well keep asking themselves stupid questions and go fuck themselves while they are at it.

Lisa was forced to snap out of her thoughts by the loud sound of thunder.

She was startled, not knowing how long she had been sitting on the ground, lost in her thoughts while staring mindlessly at her mother's grave which was beautifully decorated with flowers of different colors.

'People must have been here earlier.'

Lisa said to herself. Her mother had always loved flowers and colors so why not decorate her grave with colorful flowers. She smiled knowing that people haven't forgotten her mother yet.

"Happy birthday Mom, I miss you so much. I wish you were here today, then maybe I wouldn't be sad anymore but you left me without saying goodbye. Not that I'm mad at you for that or anything, I just hoped that you would be by my side when I start fulfilling my all dreams." She said with a sad smile, while gently caressing her mother's headstone.

She placed some flowers on the grave and looked over to her sister's and stepfather's, then got up and placed some flowers for theirs as well.

She might have not been close to her stepfather but it doesn't mean she loved him any less or doesn't miss him as well. After saying her goodbyes, she headed to her car that was parked outside the cemetery. It had already started raining and everywhere had gotten dark, as she drove back to her apartment in the dead of night.

The death of her mother changed Lisa, made her distance. Cold. She closed her heart and refused to let anyone else in. She was happy on the outside but miserable on the inside and it was eating her alive.

The guilt. The regret of not reaching out to her mother when she was still alive, the guilt of refusing her mother's request for them to live together. Lisa thought she was doing the right thing back then by refusing multiple times because she didn't want to be a burden to her mom's new family but now regretted everything.

If only she had known that her mother would die so soon, she would have chosen differently.

Lisa would have cherished their time together more and not have taken it for granted but nothing can be done now. Her mother was already long dead and the only thing Lisa can do is forever live with the pain of loss and the regret of not valuing her own mother's presence.

It's just like they say; you only know the true value of something when it's gone.