02|

Two and a half weeks after my date, or rather the dinner-out with my old friend Rayan, I could get back to work at United Broadcasting Pvt Ltd

Two and a half weeks after my date, or rather the dinner-out with my old friend Rayan, I could get back to work at United Broadcasting Pvt Ltd.Things had changed a lot there since I left, but I was relieved nonetheless. At least I wasn’t a newbie anymore. And I had Rayan looking after me as I took brave steps to start my life all over again.

With his help I managed to join Rayan in his team, working on the same program series that we used to love: Myth or Legend. He was a team leader now, and we had two other new members: Dany and Shu. Angelica had quit her job.  She found the love of her life and settled in Moscow a little after I left.  Janu has also become a mother of two kids. She was still working in the same agency but  now in 'Sports Reports'. The three of us old friends were back in sitting for lunch together, whenever one wasn't overwhelmed with research expeditions or flooded with reports and stuff.

I had been back at work for a month. We had completed our first program a week ago and were already busy with the next one. Rayan was supportive and Shu and Dani were eager learners.

"Oh. I'm tired!”

I collapsed on the plush couch in the living room, feeling a twinge in my neck and a throb in my right hand. I had been working overtime for a week, gathering information for our new project that was due to air on the seventh of this month.

“Andi, can you get me a soda, please?” I called out, sinking into the cushions.

Andi emerged from the kitchen with a soda can in her hand. She gave me a sly grin as she handed it to me.

“So, how did it go? Did you finish your report on zombies?”

“Excuse me, miss. It’s not about zombies.”

“Oh, then it must be about ghosts, right?” She asked tilting her head as if she was truly integruted by the news. Last time I checked she wasn't the most keen on my work neither the subjects I was interested in exploring.

“Something like that. We’re doing a research in California…”

“Wow, how exciting!” Andi said sarcastically.

“How about Rayan? You two seem to be getting along really well." She winked handing me the soda.

For the god's sake!

"Something about me and my BEST FRIEND yeah? Well, we're doing good. Thanks." I let out, snatching the soda can from her hand.
She winced dramatically as my nails slightly touched her fingers in the process.

"I heard you having a little lovely dovely chat with him on the phone last night.”

I rolled my eyes. Has Mrs Monika set her to spy on me or something?

“A work call I'd name it if I were you and yeah did Aunty Monika ask you to spy on me?”

“You're boring!” She shrugged plopping down on the couch next to me.

"Andi!"

I chugged down my soda and changed into my pajamas. I decided to skip dinner and go to bed early. I was exhausted.

I left the window open, letting in some fresh air. The sky was clear and starry, with a full moon shining brightly. The city was noisy and crowded, even at night.

I wished I could fall asleep quickly. Or better yet, dream of Leon and the times we had together. That was the only thing that could soothe my pain.

Mrs Monika was delighted by the changes in my health and mood. But she didn’t see the emptiness in my soul. The emptiness that only he could fill. The one who was no longer here.

A knock on my bedroom door jolted me awake on Sunday morning. It was supposed to be my day of rest.

“Sara, are you up? You have a phone call, dear.”

A phone call? Who would call me on the landline? If it was one of my friends, they would just text me or call my cell.

I got out of bed, feeling confused and curious. I walked to the door, wondering who it could be.

“Sara, it’s me...”

I knew that voice in an instant. It had been a long time since I heard it, but I could never forget it. Even though the doctors had said that I might lose some of my memory after the accident, that I might not remember people and places and events.

It was Nina.

“Can you hear me, Sara? It’s me, Nina. Leon’s sister.”

“Yes…N-Ni-Nina…”

“Mrs Monika told me everything Sara. I’m so happy that you decided to start your life over again. You’re such a brave girl, my dear.”

I didn’t know what to say. Ever since I came back home from the hospital, where I had spent three months dreaming of the day I lost him, this was the first time I heard his name from someone else’s lips. Everyone around me was so careful not to bring him up, not even his name. So hearing from his sister was like a shock to my heart.

“She really wanted to talk to you. Are you sure you’re okay?” Mrs Monika asked me, handing me a glass of lemonade. She always made it for me when she sensed I was upset.

“Yeah. She asked me to meet her. She said she has something important to show me.”

“What could she possibly have to show you, after keeping silent for almost two years?”

“I don’t know. But I’m going to find out.”

“You’re going back to Houston?” Andi sounded shocked.

I nodded briefly and got up from the bench where we were sitting. I walked into the greenhouse, hoping to avoid their attempts to stop me from going to Houston and meeting Nina.

I knew they meant well. They didn’t want me to get hurt by any memories. But there was a voice in my head that kept whispering doubts about what really happened that night on the Houston bridge. The night that Leon left me for good. The night that I almost died.