Chapter Seven - Nanjing's Military Base

Commander Wang Yi's Red Army arrived at Nanjing's military base at exactly 10:15 am, two days later than originally planned. However, considering the unpredicted attack on Jiangsu's village that ended with a victory for the communist soldiers, two days later was a small price to pay, or Yi might say none at all.

As Yi dismounted from the jeep, across from where his soldiers were unpacking the crates of weapons and food supplies, his eyes caught the attention of Xiao Fang, sitting crossed-legged inside the back of a jeep. Xiao Fang's eyes were downcast as he fidgeted with his fingers and chewed on his lower lip — like an imbecile, lazing around while lost in thoughts.

The doctor had been quiet since Yi and his men seized control over Jiangsu and killed the nationalist soldiers. Yi told himself Xiao Fang's saddened state was of no concern, considering it wasn't. Still, he couldn't help but feel pity for the medic's soldier since he had been around enough deaths in a short while to understand when a man was grieving the loss of his comrades.

"Wen Han," Yi beckoned toward Wen Han, standing near an open crate. "Watch over Xiao Fang. If he tries anything stupid, report it to me immediately. I have things to take care of inside."

"Yes, Commander," Wen Han said. "Should I tie him up, Commander Yi? In case he tries to escape."

Yi's eyes flickered to Xiao Fang. "No," he said, realizing that the medic's soldier, although a coward, wasn't stupid to escape and risk the lives of his imprisoned comrades back at the base. "That won't be necessary. He's not going anywhere. Do as I say and keep an eye on him."

"Yes, Commander," Wen Han answered, tilting his head in curtsey as Yi marched off, heading inside Nanjing's military base.

As Yi took stride steps, the sound of his boots echoed through the corridor of Nanjing's base, and his face remained stoic, ignoring all the wandering eyes of the young soldiers stationed there who passed by him, none daring to look him in the eye. Known for his cold appearance, Yi was aware of the presence he held. Aware that most men — even his own, viewed him as a monster, avoiding him at any cost.

When Yi arrived at the military base's main office, he didn't bother knocking on the front door. Instead, in absolute ignorance, he pushed it open at full force and entered, ignoring the stunned look upon the middle-aged lieutenant, Xie Yang, sitting by the lone desk, half-stalked with leather folders and papers.

"Lieutenant," Yi greeted, standing in front of the desk, his eye boring unintentional daggers at Lieutenant Xie Yang. "The shipments are here, and it's advisable that this time, you don't waste them unnecessarily. If this happens again, I'll have to write you up at headquarters."

"Ah-ha," Lieutenant Xie Yang laughed blandly, sweat seeping out of his forehead. However, upon noticing Yi failed to see any humor in the current situation, he quickly cleared his throat and gestured toward the chair opposite where he sat. "Here, have a seat. You're tired, aren't you?"

"I prefer standing," Yi answered, his face stiff and emotionless.

"Ugh," Lieutenant Xie Yang sighed, displeased. "Well —"

"My men and I will be staying for the night," Yi interrupted, eyeing the small box of imported chocolate sitting on the lieutenant's desk.

Since the war started, he hadn't tasted nor seen the sweet candy anywhere. And as the insides of his mouth watered, his mind suddenly wandered off to a childhood memory he thought he had long forgotten.

Though his father was a dreadful man toward his mother and treated her badly when no one watched, he remembered the days when his father would often be nice and brought home chocolates and sometimes flowers as gifts once a week. The flowers were placed in a vase on the kitchen table, and the next day when his father went back to work, he would huddle beside his mother on the dining room couch, eagerly opening his mouth as she fed him until there were none left.