The Dragon and The Princess: A Twisted Fairytale

The beautiful princess of Densfern sat inside her tall tower waiting to be kidnapped by the legendary evil dragon. Where was he? He was running late -  in fact, the local knight had called him over two hours ago! The princess found her feet tapping along impatiently as she waited at her window like usual.

The princess was fed up. 'Beep boop beep bink bong,' the princess tapped in the knight's phone number in an agitated way on her touchscreen.

"Ah, princess!" Sir Kevin Dunmart picked up the phone. He was having a bad day. Firstly, the village baker hadn't recognized him because his armor was in for repairs and hadn't given him the knightly discount, then when he went to collect the armor it turned out the blacksmith's wife had just delivered their ninth daughter and hadn't been able to fix anything. Then when he tried to buy new armor- well, you get the picture. 

Anyhow, he was not in the mood for the snobby, impatient princess Mabel to interfere again and break protocol. Why did he put up with this job? "Ah, princess," Sir Kevin picked up his iPhone 11 and answered through gritted teeth, 

"Where's the dragon! You were supposed to finish saving me ages ago! Why do we even have to do this whole kidnapping business every week? Especially if that blasted dragon doesn't even turn up! And oh wow, shocker. This is the EIGHTH TIME! GET THAT DRAGON OVER HERE OR THERE'S GOING TO BE A NEW CASTLE KNIGHT!" Princess Mabel screeched over the phone line and Sir Kevin had to hold the phone away from his ears. 

"Princess," the knight managed a gracious-like tone while in between words kicking the table legs in anger, "Just sit tight and wait for him, he'll be there to take you soon,"

"While it better be!" The phone ranted again and the knight winced yet again. 

"Toodaloo, Princess!" The knight slammed down the hang-up button as soon as he could. "Goodness, where is the dragon?" Sir Kevin muttered.

Back in the tall, tall tower, Princess Mabel's feet began tapping again. Tippity-tap tippity-tap went her small pink slippers on the marble floors. Tippity-tap tippity-tap. "Ugh! WHERE's THE STUPID DRAGON! I'M GONNA' TEACH HIM A LESSON!" 

Tippity-tap tippity-tap, went Princess Mabel's feet, but soon the endless clink of metal on the marble floor in Mabel's head was replaced by the whirs of gears spinning left and right across her mind.

The Dragon was feeling lazy today. He was bored of kidnapping the same old princess of Densfern every Saturday and had recently become increasingly jealous of his brothers and sisters lazing about the courtyard and playing games every afternoon he was forced to go surrender to a lousy knight.

He wished he was assigned to a more agreeable princess at least. Princess Snooty-Frost was all 'eee not my hair' and 'watch my feet' and 'boo hoo yadda yadda booooring'. The boring bit was the only thing the Dragon could agree on the princess with. 

So the fierce and legendary Dragon had finally decided to take a well deserved nap. After all, the princess owed him since last week when she was busy showering and the dragon had had to circle the tower for what seemed like ages before she came out. The Dragin laid his head on his pillow, muted his iPhone series X and went to sleep.

"Dragon! Dragon! DRAGON!" Bertie Dragon banged on his alleged best friend's door. 

"Press the mute button," Dragon answered drearily. Bertie plugged in the hacking software to the electric lock series X (everything Dragon had was series X for some weird reason) and forced the lock to click open, 

"Dragon! You need to kidnap the princess now before you're fired!" Bertie cried, yanking the slumbering kidnapper from his bed.

"What time is it?" 

"Four thirty in the afternoon! The Fantasy Squad is going mad!" Bertie cried, dragging his friend to his feet. 

Dragon said a very rude word. 

"Now get out there and do the job or you can kiss your weekly gold pile goodbye! Forever!" Bertie yelled. This got the Dragon in a panic. He didn't even put on his 'First-Class Villian' medallion he always showed off to all the onlooking peasants.

Whoosh, and with that the Dragon was off.

Back at the tour the princess had finally given up waiting for the Dragon to come and was going about her late afternoon activities from the annoying location that was the tower. Mabel had already appealed to her dear Mama twice but her mother was adamant; Mabel must wait for the Dragon, she had said simply. This was how it was done for generations and generations. 

Every Saturday morning a dragon was paid to capture a princess (usually the youngest but Mabel was the only so the 16-year-old still resided in the tower every Saturday much to her annoyance) and then a bold knight rescued her and pretended to kill the Dragon.

It never got old, apparently. 

Mabel sat at her ginormous tower window texting her friends and was just getting up the courage to call her boyfriend, Prince Henry, and tell him she wasn't going to be able to make it to the movies tonight when she noticed something in the distance.

Finally, the Dragon! What Nerve! Princess Mabel ranted mentally and ran to her bedroom to grab her fireproof slippers. Suddenly as she emerged from her room her hair cought on the hinges of the door and held. Tight. Try as she might, she couldn't unstick herself!

"Princess! Oh Princess, woah for I have come to capture you and eat you MWAHAHAHA!" The Dragon roared in a bored tone and hovered at the window. Dragon frowned and cleared his throat, "OH PRINCESS! OH PRIIINCEEEEEESS!" He called again,

"I'm stuck! Can you just fly in quick and help me untangle my hair!" The princess called back.

"Princess we don't have time for this!" The Dragon urged quietly through gritted teeth before turning back to the crowds and pretending to roar again,

"Please, Dragon, just fly in! The window was made for you! All you have to do is break the door!" Mabel urged, sounding desperate. 

"RAAAAARGH!" The Dragon roared again, this time in exasperation and lowered himself through the window, just barely making it out. "Princess? Where are you? Princess, seriously!" The Dragon turned the corner so he could see Mabel's door... but nobody was there.

"Over here!" Mabel called from the window with a smirk. The Dragon tried unsuccessfully to turn around, "See how you like waiting here all day!" And with that the Princess slammed the iron Dragon-proof windows shut and jumped from the window onto the bouncy pad below where the confused knight waited.

"Princess! What on earth did you do to the Dragon! You were only supposed to fall after I defeated-" Sir Kevin cried,

"Oh be quiet. I have an appointment at the movies. And take my advice and don't go up there for a while, it's a mess. By the way, tell the re-upholstering team they'd better have reservation for the tower tomorrow morning at nine sharp." And with that Mabel strutted off, iPhone in hand. 

"Well, Mother just told me to wait for him." Mabel muttered as she walked off contentedly.

Prompt for 9th of June, published the 10th of June in response to a Reedsy fantasy short-story prompt. Enjoy! Also is this Princess Mabel below or what!?

 Enjoy! Also is this Princess Mabel below or what!?