The Hidden Land

Olivia Pearson-Brown sighed as she realized her worst fears had come true. Here she stood in front of an entire assembly of scholars, all men, and all laughing uproariously at the mention of her newest designs and inventions.

"How on earth do you expect us to take you seriously? You have hardly any papers, proof, or knowledge of the surrounding waters."

"I have shown you all of my research and private investigations, I think you will find there is more than enough evidence and calibrations for your intelligent minds." Olivia breathed deeply, her voice coming out a little bit higher than she intended, stirring more laughs from the assembly. 

"Miss Olivia," the tall scholar spoke up again, still wearing his expression of faint amusement. Didn't he know how hard it had been to get here only to be turned down again and again!? "I'm sorry but we cannot fund this hobby of yours. If you would like to appear before the lower assembly you may, but I fear their decision will stand with ours. We cannot invest time and money in a young... woman's pet projects. You are dismissed, good day."

Another wave of laughter resounded at this and Olivia walked off the stage stiffly and disappeared into her back rooms, where her Father's assigned companion awaited. 

"We will appeal to the lower court and I shall continue my research. They have to fund me some time, my work is complete and accurate, we do not have all the time in the world!" Olivia huffed as she sat down in front of her mirror. 

Her companion, Delores, began to dab powders onto Olivia's face and tighten her already impossibly drawn-up corset. Olivia hated the feel of the scratchy corsets and lengthy gowns draped over large restricting brackets and hoops. But this was how it was, and there was nothing she could do to change society.

Olivia trifled through her folders and folders of research and designs. Her steam-powered flying contraption was her masterstroke of brilliance. She just needed the funding to complete the prototype, and then they would all see! She would find all of the uncharted lands across the oceans and explore exotic mesas and plateaus. Why did she have to be a girl? They never took her seriously.

Tap-tippity-tap. A soft knock at the back door sent Delores scrambling. Olivia stood up and composed herself. Who could it be now? A messenger from Father telling her to come home? A scholar here to tell her off? Had the board sent somebody to help clear her rooms? Olivia sighed.

Delores flung the door open and took a step back in surprise. A tall young scholar with white skin and caramel hair looked down towards Olivia nervously, "Miss Brown?" He asked quietly,

Olivia paced over towards him, "I am she." 

"I would like to fund your mechanism." He spoke. 

"Pardon?" Olivia's eyebrows raised in surprise. Upon a closer look, she realized he was rich; quite rich indeed. His tailcoat was made of fine leather, his shirt was buttoned up with surprisingly heavy-looking gold buttons... could they be made of real gold? His pants were not even worth noting, and his shoes shone like a fresh-cut wafer of silver. 

"Your steam-powered flying machine, it's brilliant. I could personally fun the entire prototype for free. No repayment." He suggested nervously and Olivia found her heart beating much faster than normal. Why would he suggest something like this?

"The catch?" Olivia asked. 

"Excuse me?" He frowned, 

"I'm not interested in marrying you if that's what you had in mind," Olivia spoke bluntly. Her Father had received many like offers, as this was the general custom.

"Wh- wh?" the mand flushed, "No, no that's not what I thought at all!" He reassured her. Olivia merely raised her eyebrows, "I'll fund you... if... if I can go along."

"Go along to what?" Olivia asked, totally perplexed. 

"When your flying machine works, I want to go with you to explore the far lands and discover new places!" He said, his face shining with excitement. "I have some ideas, too!" 

Olivia smiled, "Welcome aboard, partner." 

Olivia and Magnus went on to become good friends, and together they developed the first flying contraption that used steam power. On January first, in the year eight thousand twelve on the planet Alpharium their machine left the ground for the first time from the grounds of the very school Olivia had been rejected by a mere few years ago.

Together they discovered a new land, shrouded in mist and hidden from the rest of the world even a thousand and hundreds and hundreds of years later. Arcadia. 

20th of December, 2021. Vote now and support this story! Sorry it's so short, but maybe it will become longer if you guys like it!