Spirit Girl: An Avatar Fanfiction (ATLA/TLOK)

"Alius!" Uncle Iroh called from the other side of the spirit meadows. "Tea time!"

"Uncle Iroh, you'll never believe what I found! It was a nest of baby kawa spirits! Then the littlest kawa called Oyko fell out of his nest!" Alius cried excitedly and Iroh's eyebrows parted in worry,

"Did you help it?" He asked,

"I didn't have to, really! The mother came back and I asked her if I could help, and she said yes! All I did was place my hands on the spirit and it began to glow... then all of the sudden it's wings fledged! Can you believe it, my powers are getting stronger!" Alius laughed and flumped down on a picnic mat to drink,

"Alius, you must be careful." Iroh warned carefully, "Do not use your powers too much,"

"Don't worry, I'm always careful!" Alius laughed again, pulling her waist-length shining gold hair behind her ears breezily. 

"Alius, listen to me." Iroh paused, "You are not supposed to be here. This day has been put off for long enough," Iroh spoke, sorrow edging his voice.

"What do you mean?" Alius's grin vanished and her fingers began to tremble.

"You were not always here. Do you remember anything?"

"What? What do I remember?" Alius rose to her feet, disbelief, anger, confusion, fear, and sadness painting her face a million shades of red.

"You were not born here in the spirit world. You come from somewhere else, the other side of the notan. The light an dark harmony our universe is shaped of."

"So... so then how am I here? Where am I from? Aren't I... aren't I part of the spirit world?" Alius's voice began to temble along with her entire body.

"The living world. While you have grown up her thousands and thousands of years have passed in the living world. You must return now, because your time has come."

"And... and leave you? And all the spirits, my friends? My home?" Alius asked in disbelief. "Who - who am I?"

"You will find out. All I know is you appeared here in the meadows as an infant wrapped in a white swath. I took you in and raised you, I couldn't just leave you laying there." Iroh said, his eyes misting over.

"You don't know anything about where I came from? Nothing?"

"There is one thing." Iroh reached inside his pocket and pulled out an earth nation medallion. "You were wearing this when I found you." Iroh heaved himself up with a grunt and tied the medallion around the trembling girl's neck. "It is yours once again. Now it is time for you to go home."

"How?" Alius's eyes filled with tears.

"I love you." Iroh smiled and the two embraced quickly. Suddenly Alius looked down and realised she was becoming transparent,

"Wait! What's happening!" She cried but no sound came from her mouth. In seconds she had faded completely away and all she saw was cold, black darkness.

...

Alius opened her eyes and looked down. Her body was there again, wearing the same plain floaty pale whitish-blue dress and blue slippers. 

As her eyes adjusted to the unfamiliar dim lighting, Alius noticed many other things that hadn't stayed the same. She could feel herself with a dull ache that she hadn't been able to feel in the spirit world. Her hands were numb with cold... she had never felt cold for as long as she could remember. And what was the strange feeling in her stomach? Hunger? Only a few rare spirits could be hungry in the spirit world, and Alius had never been one of them. She ate and drank for fun, not because she needed to.

And finally she noticed gravity. There had been gravity in the spirit world, but so much less. She could hardly get to her feet, and when she attempted to jump her feet left the ground mere millimeters behind them. This is where she came from?

Alius took in her settings for the first time. She was in a ship, that much she could tell. It was stationary as far as she could feel... it was overwhelmingly cold. So cold, so frosty. Alius's teeth began to chatter. How did she get out? Eventually her eyes made out a ladder in the dim light. The trapdoor wasn't open, but she could open it once she got a hang of gravity and everything didn't feel so heavy.

An hour later Alius could tell she could adjust from world to world quite fast. She was regaining some strength and gravity barely concerned her, even though it was more heavy either way. Alius decided to try to escape. She yanked herself up the ladder and pushed up the trapdoor with a lot more effort than she had expected. Soon she found out why.

Wind howled on the deck. Icicles plastered everywhere even mildly conceivable, and with a jolt Alius realised she was alone. There were no other passengers. The ship was wrecked in the middle of an iceburg filled ocean. But not even the monstrous cold could freeze the wild waves of water that felt like ice splashing over the deck and threatening to put an end to her.

Alius dove back into the safety of the boat's haul and heard the trapdoor slam after her, vibrating the entire boat. How was she going to get out? The wood was rotting, and any second the storm could tear the boat to pieces along with her.

Suddenly she felt something thud onto the deck of the boar. Alius got to her feet and managed to push the trapdoor open slightly. A spirit! Of course, Iroh had once told her how spirits had come to the nations in the physical world!

"Hikoh!" Alius whispered in awe. The flaming phoenix spirit bowed it's head to Alius and Alius returned the bow gracefully as she climbed back onto the decks, entranced by the intense heat radiating off the gorgeous spirit. 

"Fly with me, young one." The pheonix spoke in spirit language in a deep, resonating voice. Alius responded in equally fluent spirit language and bowed her head once before sliding onto the pheonix's back. She was instantly warmed. 

The pheonix took off in a shining ball of fire, which smoked and blazed dangerously - however Alius remained untouched, while some of the sopping wood the pheonix had been standing on managed to miraculously burst into flame upon takeoff. 

The two flew in silence all throughout the night. Soon the iceburgs began to dwindle and the water became warmer. Frozen islands morphed into dry, hardened clay surfaces. Hot air caused Alius to perspire for the first time in her life. She began to wonder where Alius was taking her - they had been flying for hours and hours.

Suddenly she saw it for the first time. Just over the next cloud I giant seemingly never ending flat expanse of clay, earth, and grass baking underneath a shimmering sun. And in the distance, a gigantic sparkling city. Ba Sing Se.

Image Prompt Credit Cool Wallpapers. If you want to see a sequel vote!