Chapter One

Red Velvet gasped for breath as he clawed his way through the forest. He had just escaped some cookies that had attacked him while he was trying to hunt some food for his cakehounds.

If Dark Entrantress saw me now, Red Velvet thought, She'd definitely disapprove.

How could he have been so stupid? Red Velvet wandered too far into the woods, without his hounds, right into the hands of some nuns? How could they have sent him fleeing like that? How did they... Red Velvet glanced at his cake hand, which he had wrapped with fabric from his jacket. The jam was seeping through slightly and the pain of having to drag his claw around made him nauseous.

You're the commander of an army, you can't let your soldiers down, Red Velvet scolded himself as he stumbled around.

"Where did it go?"

Uh oh. Red Velvet flinched when he heard the voices of the nuns he had seen before pierce the otherwise quiet forest. He had been so sure that he threw them off his trail. Then how could they be so close again?

I can fight, Red Velvet thought, clenching his sword with his uninjured arm. The motion caused another wave of dizziness to fog his brain. Nevermind.

Many of the other cookies thought Red Velvet was vicious and bloodthirsty, but he was not stupid. He knew when to avoid a fight he couldn't win.

The nuns' voices got closer.

"It was here, I know it! Look at that branch," one of them was saying.

"It can't be far then."

Red Velvet let out a small gasp that he quickly stifled with his hand. That was the voice of the nun that had attacked him the other day. He absentmindedly fingered the back of his neck where she had stabbed him with that crossbow, then realized that he was using his injured arm.

Why are you so dumb today, Velvet? He scolded themself as he bit back a cry of pain.

"There's something over there," a third voice commented. Red Velvet didn't know if she was pointing in his direction but he had to assume the worst. He was in no shape to run away, nor was he in any shape to fight, but he sure was in excellent shape to crawl through the forest and die halfway before he reached the cake tower!

Red Velvet tried to breathe as quietly as possible while the nuns searched noisily. He guessed that they believed that he would be too injured to get very far and could overpower him if they wanted to. They were not wrong, so Red Velvet couldn't blame them for sounding like a herd of hippos.

In... out... in... out... Red Velvet tried to breathe in with his nose and out of his mouth as he leaned against the tree he was hiding behind, running through possible scenarios. He could call for the cakehounds that were also hunting to help him. No, they might get injured from that since the nuns had that crossbow. If the nuns caught him, would they just kill him on the spot?

Maybe. Probably. He didn't know about the nun that he met in the tower, though. Surely after seeing what happened to White Lily, even the most religious nuns must have had some doubts.

The rustling got closer to his hiding spot. He could practically feel them breathing down his back, or was that just from blood loss? His arm throbbed viciously as he wrapped the fabric as tight as it could, trying to staunch the flow. At least it was significantly better than before, but he couldn't let the nuns see or smell it.

Suddenly, a hand grabbed his shoulder. Red Velvet whirled around to see a nun standing behind him, holding a knife.

"I found it-" She screamed when Red Velvet smacked her away from him with the flat of his blade. The effort of the movement caused him to almost drop on his knees. He never got that weak from a wound like the one he was sporting.