Chapter Eight

A/N: This chapter occurs after the events of chapter seven. It is, however, still from Pastry's point of view.

Pastry set Red Velvet down on a nice rock. They were a good five miles away from the monastery, and Pastry could see the Sweet Tower of Chaos looming in the distance. Pastry groaned and sat down next to Red Velvet. She knew that sitting down right after running was definitely not a smart idea, but she was simply too tired. Carrying Red Velvet five miles without stopping while running as fast as she could took a toll on her.

"Hey," Red Velvet said, "I can carry you the rest of the way."

Pastry turned to look at Red Velvet, who seemed to be looking at her with earnest concern. His hair shone in the afternoon light.

"That rhymes," Pastry commented.

"I'm sure," Red Velvet said, "but that's not the point. If we want to get back to the tower quickly before Reverend Mother comes storming into it, we can't afford to rest like this."

"Alright," Pastry stood up, her legs stiff like boards. "Carry me."

Red Velvet grabbed her with his cake arm and shifted so he was carrying her bridal style. Pastry supposed that running with her in his arms was way easier than carrying her above his head the whole time. Speaking of arms, her arms also felt sore after supporting Red Velvet's body above her head for so long.

Red Velvet must have noticed her frown because he said, "I tried to get your attention, but you were too focused on running. Nice job, though. You would have beat the Flash's cameraman."

"Thanks," Pastry said, even though she did not know what "the Flash" was, much less its cameraman.

Red Velvet ran off in the direction of the cake tower. Pastry got to admire the scenery of trees to plains to wasteland as Red Velvet ran. Whenever Pastry looked up, she saw the determined expression on his face. He must really care for his cakehounds, she thought.

"We're almost there," Red Velvet announced after a while. He didn't sound too tired, which made Pastry jealous. Red Velvet's stamina seemed way better than hers. She shook that thought off and tried not to compare herself to him. After all, he was part cake.

"Aren't you tired?" Pastry asked, deciding to voice her thoughts, "you've been running for who knows how long."

"I'm fine," Red Velvet said, sounding completely fine as well.

The cake tower was now just a few hundred feet away. The plants around the tower were shriveled and signs of life seemed scarce. Pastry wondered if Red Velvet was really okay with sacrificing so much for the tower. However, when she looked up, she saw a frown on his face.

"You can stop carrying me, my legs are fine now," Pastry said, adding a hasty "thanks" at the end.

"No problem," Red Velvet said, staring at the tower coolly. Pastry noticed his cake hand was shaking slightly, and then she pretended to look away, he rubbed his legs as if they were in pain.

Pastry realized that Red Velvet could hide his discomfort so well, that it actually fooled her. She wondered what else he was hiding, and she felt a hot stab of shame.

"Let's go, the cakes are waiting," Red Velvet announced. He ran down the hill to the tower. Pastry ran and quickly caught up, showing down slightly the match Red Velvet's pace.

"What are you going to do to defend the Tower from the nuns?" The word "nuns" felt weird on her tongue, and she realized that she was not including herself in that group.

A group of cakehounds came running towards them.

"Chiffon!" Red Velvet cried, "wait, no, don't attack! She's on our side!" he quickly added. Pastry hadn't realized that the cakehounds were charging straight at her. However, once they heard Red Velvet's command, the pack screeched to a halt, sitting obediently at Red Velvet's feet.