Chapter Seven

"Cakemonster," the first nun, the one whose slap he had dodged, said.

Red Velvet leaned against the wall, his eyes closed. He didn't respond to the nun, deliberately ignoring her.

"Cake monster," the nun said again, louder. Red Velvet did not reply.

He felt a weak jolt against his cakearm, and he realized the nun had probably activated the contraption. He could only feel a faint spark against his arm since Pastry had disconnected the metal cast. It was a good thing it was not completely deactivated, or else nothing would have signaled to Red Velvet that he was supposed to be in pain at the moment. If he had really not reacted at all, no doubt this nun would have been suspicious and checked the contraption. Then what would have happened? There was no way he could have got it off by himself, he had no clue what sort of puzzles or stuff that only nuns knew controlled it. Pastry would be under suspicion, then Red Velvet's chance of escape would have been put out.

So he grit his teeth but did not scream, keeping his eyes closed. He had to play "this is nothing (which it really was, to be honest, since he couldn't even feel the pain)" to the nun. This nun seemed a lot older than all the other nuns who had also visited him, so Red Velvet wondered if this was the "Reverend Mother" that that Honey Toffee nun had talked about.

The buzzing against his arm grew, and Red Velvet wondered if that meant Reverend Mother had turned up a dial or something, trying to make him respond. So he decided to play along and opened his eyes, snapping, "Turn that off already!"

He saw Reverend Mother looking down at him with a smile on her face, no doubt thinking she had got him under control. The soft buzzing in the contraption halted, and Red Velvet released the tension from his face.

"Stupid nun," he muttered, dragging his free hand across his face. He could practically feel the nun's smile, and it made his skin crawl. "What do you want?"

"Do you remember what you promised Lemon Meringue?" Reverend Mother asked.

"No, I don't at all. Please enlighten me." Red Velvet said.

"Well," Reverend Mother said with a hint of impatience, "you promised that you would cooperate with us and help us conquer the tower in exchange for your monsters' lives, did you not?"

"I can't seem to recall," Red Velvet answered, rubbing his head, "perhaps I have amnesia?"

Reverend Mother slammed her foot against the wall, next to Red Velvet's face. Red Velvet stared up at her with a bored expression. Ha, the nun probably thought she was so intimidating, it was pathetic.

"Don't mess with me, cake monster," Reverend Mother hissed.

"I'm not, I'm just politely curious about this thing you are mentioning. I can't seem to understand what you are saying, and I am more than willing to learn. However, you don't seem very nice, do you? It's as if you don't have any manners-"

Red Velvet felt the contraption vibrate against his arm, sending jolts of pain all the way up his arm. Even with it disconnected, a bit of pain still spiked. Red Velvet wondered how painful it would have been if the contraption was still in place.

"STOP, STOP!!" Red Velvet screamed. He thought he sounded pretty fake, but apparently, Reverend Mother was convinced.

Red Velvet put on a big show of gasping for breath when Reverend Mother turned off the contraption.

"Okay, okay," Red Velvet growled, "don't do that again or I won't help."

"I don't think you are in the right place to make demands, in case you haven't noticed." Reverend Mother said haughtily. Red Velvet took one look at the hatred in her eyes and realized that he was pushing her too far. He needed to heal up his arm before he tried anything drastic, and goading the Mother otherwise did not seem very productive.