Chapter 2: Puppies and The Calm Before The Storm

I knew my rent was gonna be late about week ago.

I worked my a$$ off, but I still can't pay it though.

But I got just enough to get off in th-

my hand came out from under the covers and turned off  my phones alarm. I threw off my blankets and stretched. "What a weird dream. I haven't had that dream in years." I thought out loud to myself. I looked around for Custos and Exsequor. Custos and Exsequor are two of the many Saarloss wolfhound hybrids that my mother  rehabilitated, but was unable to return to the wild for one reason or another. Although all the hybrids like me, Custos and Exsequor, who may as well been litter mates, loved me the most and were always with me. I looked over and saw two large lumps under my covers. I lifted the covers and just like I thought Custos and Exsequor were cuddled up together like puppies. So cute I awwed quietly. I placed the blanket gently down so not to wake them. I tip-toed over to my huge walk in closet. I shut the doors quietly. I released a sigh. If those two had woken up they'd be grouchy and complaining all day. I walked to my console and chose my outfit. I was feeling coral today. When I went to the pick up bin it was there waiting for me. I walked out, turning the lights off as I did. When I came out I saw that Custos and Exsequor were up, and leaning against each other. I cooed at them.

"You two are so cute." They grinned before climbing of the bed and rubbing against me like a couple of cats. I shook my head, laughing when they woofed at me to pet them. I crouched down and gave them both morning kisses. While still crouched down I asked them

"Are you two coming to school with me again?"

Seems weird for a couple of dogs to come to school, especially considering that they are part wolf.

Let me explain.

Past

In Freshman year, on the first day, I was bullied because I was more curve blessed then the other girls. And they took it to a physical level. When I came home bloodied and bruised, not only did my mom freak out, but so did Custos and Exsequor. Exsequor would growl, snarl and did just about everything he could to keep everyone away who tried to come near me. He didn't stop til Custos was done licking all my cuts and bruises. The next day my mom had to put them both in a crate because they wouldn't let me leave my room. 

Unfortunately that didn't make much of a difference.

When I went to first period everyone was staring at me. I sat down and not even twenty minutes in to class, there was a huge commotion in the in the hall. You could hear slams, thuds, growl, snarls, howls and cursing. It sounded like one of the neighborhood dogs got loose and found it's way into the school. Everyone ignored it and so did I til there was a very familiar series of barks that I knew very well. I quietly groaned. I dont know how they even got out.  I waited til the teacher opened the door before letting  out a three series whistle. Two short and one long.  It meant "I'm here." I heard the same series in responding howls and yips before the yelling reached a new level and got closer.

"Don't let those wolves in!" 

I've never seen my class or the teacher run that fast at the word wolves then a cheetah in full sprint. Everyone but me. I sat quietly in my seat and watched as everyone ran behind the teacher's desk. Really? What's that gonna do? 

I stood up and started towards the door. The teacher yelled-whispered "Ms.Bell get over here! There are wild animals running loose!"

I scoffed at the teacher. "Wild yes. But dangerous? Not a chance." 

I leaned against the desk in front of the door before letting out the same whistle. And just like I thought, in walks Custos and Exsequor side by side. Tongues hanging out and pearly white teeth showing.  I guess they did look fierce, that is if you ignored the puppy dog eyes. They both sat down on their haunches looking up at me with big smiles.