CHAPTER 7.

Chapter 7: Twilight.

*

"I'm not going far. I'll always be here. Just an inch away. I promise."

-Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott-

*

The anniversary was nearing and the house was chaotic. Zamaairah stared at the fairy lights in her hands and then looked at the surrounding trees. They are too tall, she thought with a sigh.

"Mind if I help?" she turned to see Vardah standing by the bench. Zamaairah had no idea when Vardah even got there. 

"Yes please. They are too tall." Zamaairah informed her and she nodded. Vardah walked over to her and Zamaairah took note of the woman. Vardah Siddique was about 5'6 with a lean figure and long limbs. She was dressed in all black dress t-shirt that fell to her thighs and jeans with combat boots and a gray hijab. Her dress had a black belt around the waist with a silver buckle. The woman looked so badass that Zamaairah wondered what she actually was. Guess I'll never know.

"We haven't been formally introduced. I am Vardah Siddique, chief of security for the Zaeef family." She said, turning to Zamaairah and stretching her arms out. Zamaairah stared at her hands and then back at her. "The lights." Zamaairah's eyes slightly widened and she nodded.

"Zamaairah Omar, nice to meet you." She replied, handing over the lights. Vardah nodded at her, walking to the nearest tree. She took off her shoes and stretched her limbs, making Zamaairah question her intentions.

"You are not going to climb, are you?" she asked Vardah who threw her a grin over her shoulder.

"Things best done manually." She told her and Zamaairah's eyes widened as she rushed over to the tree. By the time she reached the base of it, Vardah had already hoisted herself (and the lights) up on the branches. She walked steadily across the large branch and threw the lights up, twirling it.

"I can call the boys to help, Vardah. Please get down. What if you fall?" Zamaairah was panicking by now. Vardah laughed. Zamaairah stared at her in astonishment.

"Any other lights you want to put up here?" she questioned and Zamaairah shook her head. The lanterns can be hung from the ground.

"Come down please." Vardah shrugged and jumped off the branch, landing perfectly on the grass ground. Zamaairah stared at her in awe and shock at once. Vardah let out a laugh when she saw her face. Zamaairah blushed lightly and looked around, avoiding her. 

Multiple men and women dressed in black suits and shades walked around the premises of the mansion. It reminded Zamaairah of her house back in Malaysia. Not the time, Zama.

"Don't they get hot in this sun?" Zamaairah muttered, picking up the lights from the bench.

"Don't worry, they are trained to withstand extreme weather conditions." Vardah replied, tying her shoes on the ground. She stood up and jogged on spot to settle proper in her shoes before turning to Zamaairah. "Let me help."

Zamaairah was glad to have Vardah helping her. A few other maids joined in and things were done by the afternoon. Everyone left for their own works and Zamaairah found herself alone in the backyard of the west wing.

Zamaairah stretched her body to the sides and sighed deeply as she took a seat on the wooden stairs leading out of the west wing. She liked the afternoon sun, it made her happy. Serotonin, she thought as she closed her eyes.