Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

"Fuck if I know," Three grunted as he raked a hand through his hair and slumped back against the cave wall. He looked out of the entrance, then back across the cave at me.

"This was your idea. To escape. So you tell me what to do next," he responded. I sighed, reaching up to rub at my temple. Three was starting to give me a headache. I shook my head gently and looked up, frowning as I looked out of the cave. It was thick and humid, so a rainforest of some kind. Exotic birds sang and shrilled, bugs zoomed by, the distant roar of something fierce. It was a bit like Atlantis, but much more humid. I fanned my face for a second, then looked at our group to see how everyone was holding up for now.

Three looked exhausted, sitting with his knees drawn up, his arms laying across the tops, sweat pouring down his face. Beside him, Four was still unconscious, leaning over slightly, his dislocated legs just sprawled out. Six was standing near the entrance of the cave, looking out at the forest, cradling his busted arm. Next to me, Bait sat with his legs criss-crossed, awkwardly because of his leg, hands on his knees, watching us blankly. He didn't seem worried or concerned.

"Are you alright?" I asked him. He looked at me.

"What?"

"Are you alright?"

"Oh. Yes. Fine. Just waiting for our next move. Sooner or later, they're going to catch up to us," he responded, making me frown, "It's only a matter of time... Although, I'm impressed I've made it this far. I've never made it out of the compound before." I cocked my head.

"Before? You've tried to escape before?" I asked. Bait looked at me.

"Twice. Once when I was six, and the second time when I was seventeen."

"How old are you?"

"I don't remember," Bait admitted, "Thirty something." I choked on my breath and coughed, looking him up and down, then back to his youthful face.

"You look sixteen."

"Oh," Bait said. I shook my head and rose to my feet now, dusting myself off and approaching Six at the mouth of the cave.

"Anything?" I asked. Six shook his head.

"I think we're safe for now," he replied, still studying the trees intently. I reached out and took his hand. He blinked, then let me turn him around to face me. I very lightly touched his busted arm with my fingertips and he swallowed thickly, looking up at me.

"I wish I could heal you," I murmured. Six gave me a little smile.

"It's fine. It doesn't hurt that bad."

"Yeah, but it won't help you in a fight either."

"I've fought with a broken arm before."

"That doesn't reassure me. That worries me."

"Sorry," he mumbled. I smiled and leaned in, touching my lips to his forehead. He blushed right to the tips of his ears. I reached up to stroke the side of his face before lowering my arm. I got a strange tingling sensation on the back of my neck and noticed Six's demeanor change from shy and coy to alert. I turned to see Three getting to his feet.

I frowned as he dusted himself off and approached us, looking a little mean and nasty judging from that expression on his face. I supposed he was watching us and didn't like what he saw.

"Give me your arm," Three ordered Six, who hesitated before slowly extending his broken arm as much as he could. Three grabbed it and Six yelped.

"Don't hurt him," I snapped at Three, who glared at me, then turned and put both hands on the broken arm. I watched as Three sent magic pouring in, healing the arm rather quickly. It was quite impressive actually. In just a couple seconds, the injury was healed and Six drew his arm back to flex it.