21 | happiness

Adrien
He knew Marinette was Ladybug- the two people he had fallen in love with were the same person. And he had just promised to not know who she was. He decided that if they both knew each other's identities, it would cause the end of the world. He couldn't let that happen. He wouldn't let that happen.

He left for school that morning and his father was still nowhere to be found. Nathalie and his bodyguard acted the same as ever- emotionless and dreary, and when he made it to school everyone was surrounding him.

"We heard your house got like- wrecked!?!"

"Yo are you okay dude?"

"We weren't sure if you had survived, the whole place was destroyed!"

"Thank goodness Ladybugs lucky charm fixed everything."

"Is your father still running for mayor? Have you heard about that?"

By the time he made it to his classroom he was already drained. As if that wasn't enough, his whole class ran up to him as soon as he walked into the door.

He was about to say something, but just as he opened his mouth they all engulfed him in a bone crushing hug. No one said anything, just stayed like that for a while. Eventually the bell rang and he made it to his seat next to Marinette, who had a solemn expression on as she sketched. He wanted to talk to her so badly, he wanted to grab her and never let go- but he couldn't. He hated it.

He opened his mouth to say something, then closed it, then opened it again, then closed it. "Cat got your tongue?" she giggled as he blushed.

When she said things like that, she represented her alter ego even more- making it increasingly harder to restrain from coming back with a pun.

She laughed at his gaping expression and gave him a small, genuine smile. "I'm glad you're back Adrien."

"I- um- thank you! Me too! Glad to be back that is, not to be sitting right here next to you or anything I mean- Thank you Marinette." He scratched the back of his neck and she giggled again and resumed sketching.

He mentally slapped himself. What had gotten into him? He had always been fine around Marinette, fine around his Lady, but now that he knew they were the same person? It was like he was double in love.

The day dragged on, and he found himself falling into a bit of Chat Noir state when around Marinette. He made her laugh as much as he possibly could, and she stuttered significantly less- as if she had found a piece of herself. Her laughter was something he wanted to capture and stick in a jar to listen to for hours, and hours.

He didn't know what to do. He had so much love in his heart- he didn't know how long he could go on without her knowing. He was as confused as in love.

He wanted to tell her so badly. But he had made her a promise. A promise he refused to break.

It started to rain by the end of the school day- an abrupt storm that seemingly came out of nowhere given it had been sunny all day. He didn't have an umbrella, so he mentally prepared himself to make a break for it the second his car pulled in.

"Need an umbrella?"

His cheeks immediately heated up at the sound of her voice. "That'd be great actually."

She opened the umbrella, and stretched so that she could comfortably keep it over his head. She was short compared to him, and she giggled when it bonked him a few times. She smiled her beautiful smile and looked up at the stormy sky.

"I didn't expect such a downpour- good thing I always have the umbrella you gave me everywhere I go- I mean not everywhere, everywhere but like- always with me? If that makes sense."

He laughed and she joined in, their voices syncing to the sound of the rain.

"I love the rain actually," he said. "It reminds me of the day we first met."

Her cheeks turned a deep shade of red, and they fell into comfortable silence, the rain pitter pattering as each droplet crashed against their umbrella. With each passing second, he had to bite his tongue a little harder, to stop himself from saying the words he knew he was forbidden to let escape his lips. Eventually, he bit down so hard he was sure he drew blood, and couldn't resist himself any longer. He turned to meet her eyes. "Marinette, what were you going to say that day at my house?"

He already knew. He knew she had been seconds away from telling him she loved him. She had rehearsed it countlessly with him as Chat Noir.

He just wanted to hear her to say it.

Needed to hear her say it.

"I- I-"

His car pulled in. They both turned, both of their hearts beating a million miles a minute, matching the rhythm of the rain.

He smiled, positive his cheeks were the same tomato red as hers. He grabbed the hilt of the umbrella, wrapping his fingers gently around hers. Then, he plucked up all the courage he had, drawing upon the words he had been desperately trying to keep down. He leaned in, so close that their lips were only millimeters, yet seemingly miles away. He kissed her cheek softly and whispered, "I love you too."

Then he ran his car, leaving her with the umbrella and letting the sound of the gentle rain soothe his racing heart.

He got in, and didn't look back, because her heart's rhythm was still beating to his.