Chapter 4

Ashlynn's eyes widened. No one had ever written a song for their 18th birthday. Was that even allowed? She wasn't sure, and with the way Arthur looked at her, she suspected he knew that. What was his goal here?

"I..." began, dumbfounded. She couldn't find the words. It was a good idea, yes, but she had no idea if the other sirens would accept it. She didn't wanna turn him down, though. His eyes were so bright and it was so...cute? No, no. That's not right. She already can't be sure that writing a song is safe, but loving a human was way too far. There was no way that she wouldn't be punished. "I'm not sure how to write a song..." she finally spits out, dumbly.

"That's alright, I can help you!" Arthur pushes on. Ashlynn had only known him for two days, but even then she could sense that this was out of character for him. That being said, she couldn't say she wasn't pleased about it. Seeing him so eager to help her with one of her biggest struggles lifted a weight off of her chest. It was just as she had thought, she could get a different perspective on the matter, and so far, she liked his.

"You would do that? For someone that you pretty much just met? For someone who happens to be a different species entirely...?" she questioned. Not everyone would do such a thing. At least, not where she was from. Arthur nodded, his smile having dropped slightly, but not gone. Ashlynn smiled with him. She silently praised herself for leaving his memory intact. He could be her last chance.

"Thank you..." she trailed off. She was at a loss for words. She could never put into words how much she appreciated his help. And she doubted she'd get any closer to telling him how much she appreciated him in general. Maybe she couldn't help falling for him. Maybe she would have to keep him a secret, but she knew it would be worth it. She wanted to do all that she could for him in return. Ashlynn wasn't quite ready to attempt to change the minds of the other sirens, but she knew that she would get there someday. Somehow, she was going to change the viewpoint of her people. She wasn't going to let Arthur go that easily.