Epilogue

By the next year, Arthur was not the only former-human residing in the pond. There were several more new faces. They were all welcomed with open arms. Ashlynn and her golden-tailed partner lived in their very own cave near the bottom of the pond, where Hannah and she used to hang out. The couple was preparing for yet another ceremony. It was a very special ceremony. Hannah's day had finally arrived. The mute siren was more excited than ever. Ashlynn was sure that her "percussion" solo would blow the minds of the rest of the people.

Grabbing Arthur's hand, they exited the cave. There was already a crowd of both native and new sirens alike around the center of the pond. The two decided to watch from a bit higher so that they could see the newly turned 18 year old. Ashlynn hoped that Hannah could feel all the same things that she did on her birthday the year before. After all, she deserved that and so much more for staying with her after the events of the previous year.

She felt Arthur squeeze her hand, and she looked over at him. He gave her a warm smile, which she couldn't help but return. They were both proud of each other, and the siren of honor that day. Without each other, the siren population would have remained as closed off as it had been before. Expanding their horizons had been the best thing to ever happen to their pond. They had done it, and all of the sirens couldn't have been more grateful.