31

Abel

"Mr. Caswell!"

I slow to a stop and a bubbly, short haired woman runs in front of me, just about skidding on her heels.

I've seen the woman a couple of times on campus. Whether it was at a quick after school teachers meeting, or at the front office, I can't quite place it—but our paths never really cross.

"I don't believe we've formally met yet," her stern hand juts out at me and I shake it. "I'm Leslie Spencer. I teach Spanish—I'm also the student activities coordinator..."

I nod my head slowly, waiting for her to get to the point as she tucks a chunk of dark hair behind her modestly pierced ear. The small stud she's wearing can't be much bigger than a spec of dust.

"Anyway, the students really love you—I mean really love you, like they can't stop gushing over Mr. Cass-anova." She laughs and i fight back the grimace that's forcing it's way out. "And as you know, homecoming is right around the corner so I'm rounding up a great team of teachers to help chaperone the dance."

"Are you...are you asking me to be a chaperone at the homecoming dance?"

"I'm inviting you to chaperone the homecoming dance." She grins, bouncing on her toes.

I scratch my cheek, my mind scrambling for the nicest possible no. She must see the answer in my eyes, despite me trying to fake a polite smile, because she pushes out her bottom lip and stares up at me with puppy dog eyes that hardly sway me.

"Please, Caswell." She looks at me sideways.

"I don't know, Leslie. I mean, what does a chaperone even do? Stand around and watch teenagers dance and make out? sounds..."

"No, no no." She laughs. " I mean, when you put it that way it sounds very strange, but hear me out. It's actually a lot of fun. Think of it as a chance to dress up, hang out with other teachers, eat free food...drink—a little, on the down low..."

I quirk my brow at that last line and she sighs.

"Okay truthfully, last years ticket sales were terrible. We wasted so much money on food, the school actually spent three times more than we made after all was said and done. Prom wasn't much better. It's really sad, and if we have another disaster event, there won't be anymore dances. I mean think of the poor kids who spend all year looking forward to homecoming and Sadie Hawkins, spring formal and prom—they won't get to experience any of that anymore." Her eyes beam into me, round and wide. "I mean, don't you remember your high school dances?"

Vaguely.

I mean, I never went to prom. I did go to one back to school dance, and that's just because it was free and my friends and I had nothing else to do that Friday night but try and score some free food.

"Well, that sounds terrible, Leslie...truly. But, what does me being chaperone have to do with that?"

"Like I said, everyone loves you." She smiles brightly again and I can feel myself giving in already. "You're one of the most popular and beloved teachers here at Carlson and I just know that if we had your support for this years homecoming it'll be a hit."

"Fine...okay, I'll do it."

"Really?!" She perks up so quick, I swear her feet lift from the ground. And then she jumps up and latches onto me like she's velcro and I'm soft and fuzzy. "Thank you! Thank you!"

I keep my hands in plain view as students pass by, staring at the show we're putting on. They're always watching. Kids are around us so much I actually pray for a desolate moment in the halls.