39

Ari

I quietly hum along to Weezer's say it ain't so and stare out at the dark highway. I served two cars tonight, made twenty bucks, and sat down at a table while Maya and sassy giggle behind the counter.

It's been dead tonight, and all I can think about it getting home to Abel.

I don't know what's going to happen from here, knowing him probably nothing. He won't allow anything.

He's such a tight ass.

But detention went great. I'm glad I went off on Kaliyah.

I'll do it every day if it means I get to make out with the hottest teacher ever and watch him barely restrain himself as he worships my body.

Snappy peeks her head out at me. "Ari, team meeting."

I nod and take my time dragging myself up from the table. I'm in bliss. I swear I can still feel his hands on me. His touch, his lips.

I roll into the dining area and pretend I don't notice Maya mad-dogging me as I sit at the next table over.

We haven't had a team meeting in a while, the last time it was due to an incident where a customer complained about Snappy's attitude.

But I think today Stacey's going to actually talk to us about everything. She has been in as little as possible because of her health, but besides the distance between me and Maya, things have gone smoothly enough without her here.

Sadly.

It's not the same, but we've proven we can operate as a team without her.

Stacey's heavy breaths are evident as she takes a seat, looking exhausted. I hate it.

I hate seeing her like this.

Snappy stands at her side, almost like she's ready to take over or speak for her if need be.

"First off, today was a slow one, but last week was crazy and you all handled it like pros. You girls are amazing. I couldn't ask for a better little team than you four."

I hear sniffling and look over at Sassy who's silently sniveling and covering her mouth with her sleeve.

Is this what the meeting is about.

Is this Stacey's final farewell?

"I love you girls, we had so much fun the past two years, and I just hope I have taken care of you as well as you've taken care of Rocket Rudy's. You treat it like home, and it doesn't go unnoticed. That being said," she pauses to take a breath and Snappy reaches in a bag and pulls out four envelopes. "I wanted to give you girls these bonuses, because I appreciate all your hard work. I know it hasn't been easy, but these are long overdue."

Snappy hands me my envelope before making way to the other girls. I peel back the flap just to peek inside and see a check for two thousand dollars that makes my eyes water.

"Stacey," Maya says quietly. "This is a lot, are you-"

"Please, Maya. Like I said, this is overdue. You all work so hard, and I thank you."

"Thank you, Stacey," I say to her, mostly just confused on how to feel.

I'm grateful, but I'm sad. I'm hurting.

She nods at me and Snappy returns to the spot she was standing in, leaned up against the small square table.

"So, I should have told you all sooner, but I know word has gotten out and it's more than obvious now what's going on with me."