CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

When I opened the door, the loud voices welcomed us. Shifa was lying on the floor and two strangers sat on the sofa, each with a metal can in their hands. All three heads turned toward us, and I heard Divya clear her throat in an extremely loud voice. I did not have time to look at her and give her a look, Shifa smiled, and my heart froze upon seeing it. Her gaze lingered only for a few seconds before the same smile was directed behind me and she stood up, holding on her knee and sofa's arm. The two strangers, probably her friends, one girl with glasses too big for her resting on her nose and a boy with a dark brown muffler wrapped around his neck, rose on their feet and seemed as if they would rather be anywhere else. I felt bad for them. If my time spent with my friends was any hint of their personalities, I knew they would be easily comfortable among random faces. I couldn't say the same about those two.

"Hi, come on in. We already finished third season of Atypical."

I had assumed that just like me, the three behind me wouldn't have any idea about what Shifa just uttered; I was wrong, obviously because Rohan let out a sound that sounded awfully like a squeal. Yep, they fit right in and in a way that made me a tad bit jealous since I had no idea what Shifa said. Sure, it was about some show, but I would have appreciated it if I knew why Rohan and Shifa laughed and began to talk in loud voices before Rohan went ahead and dropped the plastic bag on the floor and sat down beside it. I watched Divya do the same after she gave the other two a casual hug, made herself comfortable by leaning back on the sofa. Vivek took the bag from my hand and smiled at Shifa which she returned. I heard them start talking but I didn't understand what. My whole attention was fixed on Shifa and the can in her hands. Beer was written in silver on it and I for a moment thought what she would do I snatch it and threw it away. Her hand holding it, dropped to her side.

She must have noticed my eyes and almost in an embarrassed voice, she said, "Thank you for the kheer. I finished it all so sorry if you wanted to eat."

I couldn't look into her eyes, partly due to the bubbling disgust for the alcoholic beverage and partly to my own embarrassment. She knew then that I made the kheer especially for her and the knowledge of her knowing was enough to warm my ears.

I nodded and my hands immediately went to take off my hijab and in the middle of the gesture, remembered we had company. Oh. The worst part of the night. I was aware of Shifa's eyes on me, and the idea flustered me even more that she had seen me trying to take off my hijab, so, in vain, I scratched my forehead and tried to hide my face from her view but for some annoying reason, she didn't seem to move and join the guests. She stood there in front of me, and her body didn't allow me to look at the others in the background, all I heard was their voices, now getting louder.

"You can take that off.", her voice was either deliberately low or the people in the back were just too loud, I wasn't really sure.

I nodded but made no attempt to do as she suggested. No way would I ever take that off when there were three boys in the same room.

"I am going to change and call ummy."

"Would that take long?"

I honestly didn't know, by the way, my mother sounded in the morning, I guessed it would take even longer than usual, "I don't know. Your brother is getting engaged."

I realized it after I said it. I shouldn't have mentioned it. Not before her and I watched in weirdly panicked way as Shifa's face changed. Only slightly. Her eyebrows rose and lips straightened.

"He is. Alright, you do your thing."

Then, after seeing her walk toward the small crown and already stealing the spotlight with her laugh, I decided the talk with my mother couldn't wait. There was something obviously going on with Shifa and her family which, however wrong, I wanted to know. No, I needed to know why she avoided her family. I had a few guesses, but those reasons couldn't be enough for her to refuse to be present at her brother's engagement ceremony. Or it could be. The truth was—I didn't know. I had no idea what stopped her or why her eyes were red that morning and it divided my mind into two parts—one wanted to go about and ask my mother about Shifa, which I understood was wrong and direct invasion of her privacy and one wanted to ask Wahab. None of the options were right but Shifa did not seem the type to tell me about herself.

I went to my room and changed my clothes, loosening my hijab a little and rubbing some Vaseline on my chapped lips and hands. My phone stared at me from the bed, and I stared back. It would be so easy to call my mother and I wouldn't even have to ask. She loved talking about other people and their business, it would only take a mention of Shifa's name, and I might end up with her whole biodata with extra commentary, then I heard another loud scream, calling my name from outside and that made up my mind and let the phone stay on the bed before looking at my reflection in the mirror one last time. When I walked into the living room, all were settled, and bags of chips were being passed around. I didn't join them, instead stood by the door and let the scene inked in my mind. I had spent nights with my cousins and usually Zoya and I would stay inside our room and do something of our own but this time it was totally different. Zoya wasn't there, instead I was stuck with the other cousin for whom I had different feelings than I did for Zoya. That felt wrong. Shifa wasn't really my cousin, but it still dampened my mood. Divya shouted my name again and warned that all the good snacks were going to be finished if I took any longer.

When I made my presence known, the boy with brown muffler stood up from the sofa and sat down on the floor with Rohan. I thanked him and received a nod in return. Shifa's friend sat beside me and introduced herself as Neha.

"Well, her real name is Rajshree."

Neha took the blue cushion pillow from behind her and smacked Shifa on head, but the damage had already been inflicted. Rohan laughed and the boy turned toward me and extended his head, "My real name is Abhinav but please call me Abhi."

"Can we select the movie now, please? I need to reach home by 10", Neha asked and then explained, "I live with my sister here, thus the late curfew."

"Okay, well, I am in mood for something great, so how about, The Hobbit?"

"Nah. Too boring and long."

Then I watched as Rohan and Abhi argued, and it went on for quite some time, they didn't even hear me when I excused myself and ample to the kitchen. I was hungry and judging by the environment, I doubted they will be watching any movie, in fact, Rohan and Abhi didn't seem to like each other much as all I saw them doing ever since they sat down was argue. A few packs of chips and beer wouldn't full their stomach, but none cared.

I had only picked up the pan to make something light and I heard another set of footsteps behind me.

Shifa came up and leaned her upper body against the tiled counter, "We won't be e able to watch anything."

A chuckle later, I added, "Abhi doesn't like Rohan, does he?"

She didn't reply and I, in the middle of onion washing, turned to her. She had a strange smile on her lips and her head lolled to one side, giving me sideway glance. I ducked my head and went back to washing the onions. She looked too good in her green oversized sweater and her hair covering half her cheek. When my heartbeat raced faster, I couldn't almost understand it. Then she laughed as she said, "I don't think so. I think he likes him enough."

I pitied her for her lack of observance.

"You didn't call your mother?"

Thinking it didn't need a verbal answer, I shook my head.

"They will be leaving soon. How about you and I watch the movie after?"

Again, I just nodded. Saturday night, watching a movie with Shifa didn't sound like the worst idea. She left soon after and I felt utterly awful for wishing that friends leave soon.