6

the knight bus, at night
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Welcome to the Knight Bus, emergency transport for the stranded witch or wizard. Just stick out your wand hand, step on the board and we can take you anywhere you want to go. My name is Stan Shunpike, and I will be your conductor this eve-"

The conductor stopped abruptly. He had just caught sight of Harry and Y/N who were still sitting on the ground.

They scrambled to their feet and noticed that this Stan Shunpike looked only a few years older than them; eighteen or nineteen at most, with large, protruding ears and a fair few pimples.

"What were you doin' down there?" said Stan, dropping his professional mannerism.

"Fell over," said Harry.

"What ye fall over for?"

"We didn't do it on purpose," said Y/N, annoyed.

"Well come on then," said Stan. "Let's not wait for the grass to grow."

Harry and Y/N looked behind the bus, too see where the black dog had once been, was now gone.

Stan stuck his head out to see what they were looking at. "What ya looking at?"

"Nothing," the both replied.

"Well come on then. In!" Stan stepped off the bus and walked towards Harry and Y/N's trunks.

Harry went to go put his in the bus but Stan said, "No no. I'll get this, ye get in." Stan struggled to lift the trunks onto the bus while Harry and Y/N just watched.

When they entered the bus, it was like a youth hostel. Half-a-dozen brass beds stood beside curtained windows. Candles illuminated the wood-paneled walls.

Harry turned to Stan and asked, "How much would it be to get to London?"

"Eleven Sickles," said Stan, "but for fifteen you get a hot chocolate, hot-water bottle and a toothbrush in the colour of your choice."

Harry rummaged through his trunk and handed some silver coins to Stan, who was just finished printing out their ticket.

"Just to London, please."
"But I want a hot chocolate."
"We'll get one in London, Y/N."

Stan led them both to a bed. "Ye'll have this one. Now don't get any ideas now," he said with a smirk.

"Fuck off," Y/N muttered, but still loud enough to be heard.

"Alright then, take it away Ern!" Stan said after knocking on a window up at the front.

Harry and Y/N were not prepared for the bus to start driving. It felt like it was moving at the speed of sound, maybe even the speed of light.

"The muggles," Harry said, "can't they see us?"

"Muggles don't see nothin', " Stan replied.

When an old lady was crossing the road, the bus immediately stopped and only the two teenagers went flying face-first into the window just to be pushed back onto the bed when the bus started to move again.