Chapter 5

‘There’s no time like the present’ is what my father always tells me. As I steer my crotch rocket into the parking space though, I’m wishing there was a better time than the present. Maybe like, I don’t know, the future?

I pull the helmet off my head, shaking my braid out of it’s cramped position. The cars that surround me are silent and cold, waiting for their owners to return. Taking a deep breath, I grab the keys out of the ignition and swing my legs off the bike. 

It’s not like this is a new experience.I think to myself, tucking the helmet under my arm and heading to the double-door entrance. Lord please help me please help me please please please give me strength to do what you will and nothing else just let me faint and anything else you want to happen…

I walk through the glass doors, shouldering the slipping shoulder of my backpack. I don’t want to do this. I can’t take the plastered smiles anymore. Don’t make me do this. I have to do this. 

I take a deep breath and press the button. The door unlocks with a buzz and I walk into the office.

“Good afternoon,” I greet the secretary sitting behind the desk. She looks up to greet me and her eyes go wide.

“Lekia, dear!” she exclaims, standing up and coming around the desk. When she wraps her arms around me, I’m prepared for it and don’t flinch. I even hug her back. 

“How have you been?” I ask her, pulling away. 

“I’ve been doing fine. How has your recovery been?” I stare at her, lips slightly parted, ready to tell the same lie again. But something, or someone, stops me. This kind woman in front of me, who has known me for years, is only looking to help me. 

“Physically speaking, I’ve been doing exponentially well. Emotionally speaking is a little bit different…” Her already wide eyes grow even larger, questioning my statement. I set my backpack down and place my helmet on top of it.

“I’m still extremely jumpy. About…everything. A simple touch can set me off. Sometimes I see things that aren’t really here and now. Sometimes I relive some of the things that happened.” Her eyes fill with pity as I explain what goes on in my head. I won’t plaque her with what I’ve seen and experienced. It’s not for her to bear.

“I’ll have to warn my teachers,” I smile hesitantly, rubbing the back of my head. “And probably the principal.”

“Oh no. I can do that for you.”

“You don’t have to—“

“No, no. I do.”

“…Thank you, Linda. You can just send them to me if they have questions.”

“Okay, dear.” She smiles, then retreats behind her desk and pulls out a sheet of paper and an index card. “This is your schedule, locker number, and combination.”

“Thanks, Linda,” I smile, taking it from her. “Are they still in class?”

“Yes, but you can just go and get situated. If you get there early, it’s okay. I’m sure your teacher won’t mind.” I nod and give Linda a last thank you. Then I take my bag and helmet and walk out of the door. In the hall, as you might have guessed, is what I’ve been dreading. 

Welcome back to high school, Lekia.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had no need to use my locker. I only had supplies for two classes in my bag, and I could just carry my helmet around. 

“Room 455,” I muttered, glancing at my schedule again. A hand grabbed my elbow, making me go stiff. 

The next thing I knew, the person who had tried to attack me was pressed up against the wall with my forearm to their throat. Red was clouding my vision, not letting me see my attacker.