Chapter 7

I’ve heard someone say, I’m not sure who so don’t ask, that people will remember insults even if they’re just jokes. Some guidance counselor probably thought it up. 

Whoever said it though, they were right.

“Slut,” another person muttered as I walked past. My back stiffened, bringing the rest of my body to attention. Oh, every cell in my body was tingling. Ready for a fight. 

I would like to see them survive nearly five months of Aaron.

The crowd parted for me as I walked down the hall. A few strays would come straight at me on their way to the bus, looking to be rude and jolt me in the shoulder. 

Those people ended up on the ground. 

“Halfway through the week!” a little freshman squealed to her friend as they passed me. I smiled a little at that. Only four more periods of this crap. For this week, anyway. 

The locker room was quiet as I entered, completely empty. I shrugged off my bags, threw off my splint, and changed into my swimsuit quickly. Grabbing my cap and goggles, I went through the shower area and into the school’s indoor pool. 

“Ah, Ms. Born. Nice of you to join us,” a voice chimed. I looked towards the bleachers. The entire girl’s swim team, or what I assumed was the entire girl’s swim team, was already dressed and sitting on them. The coach must’ve been mid speech when I interrupted. 

“Sorry, coach,” I smiled, unshaken by her hostility. “Didn’t get the memo we had to be here extra early.”

“That memo was sent out last week. Maybe you should listen to announcements better,” the coach smiled, but it looked more like a snarl on her thin face. 

I smiled back just as kindly, “I just got back in school Monday. All they told me was that practice started on Wednesday. No other memos.” A girl in the back row snickered. The coach shot a look at her before motioning me to the bleachers. 

I made a beeline for the snicker girl. Surprisingly, she didn’t shy away from the sheer social suicide of my presence. 

“You’re Lekia Born, right?” she leaned over and whispered as I sat down. I nodded, starting to put my hair up and keeping my eyes on the coach’s already moving lips. 

“Valda,” she kept her eyes on the coach as well, pretending like she was listening. 

“Valda, what did I just say?” Coach suddenly asked. Valda’s eyes lost their glazed look as they widened in surprise. She shrugged after a second. 

“Maybe you shouldn’t be talking. What about you, Lekia? What did I just say?” 

“That we’ll have to race to get an event before every meet, and we’re having one today,” I recited, circling my pony tail into a bun. The smile/snarl returned.

“Correct…Go get stretched.”

“Nice catch,” Valda complimented, spinning her own hair into a bun. We got up from the bleachers and moved to the front of the pool to stretch. 

“You’ve made quite a name for yourself,” Valda continued, starting to stretch her arms. “Attacking Susan really set everyone against you.”

“Well, I didn’t mean to attack Susan.”

“How do you not mean to attack someone?” 

“It’s possible,” I say, not elaborating on the subject. 

“Ok…Hey!” Valda called, motioning someone over. “Mariana! Get your butt over here, girly.” A girl about my height trotted over, her loose Irish curls bouncing as she strode over. Her lips were pursed in an obvious annoyance.