Chapter 22

So that was that. I was meeting with Jordan every weekday at six in the afternoon.

It wasn't until later that I realized the mistake I'd made.

"What did I get myself into?" I threw over my shoulder at Tristan, who was pushing me to our next class. A group of girls stalked past, eyeing me in my deformed state. I averted my own eyes, rubbing my jaw. I wondered if it would hurt me worse than it hurt them if I punched them with my cast.

"I don't know, but I think you're doing the right thing," he told me. I glanced back at the group, making sure they weren't paying attention anymore. One of them did look back, and I could have sworn she had pity in her eyes.

That made me want to punch her even more.

"You know how I feel about shrinks," I muttered, placing a head on my fist.

"Yes, which makes me all the more proud." He patted my shoulder as we entered the class, and every eye fell on me. They looked quickly away, but I caught some of them looking back. Flashes of pity everywhere. I brought my knee to my chest, hugging it tightly.

I didn't need their pity. Last week they'd been calling me a slut. What did I care?

"I hate this," I muttered under my breath, placing my chin on my knee. That rewarded me with another pat on the shoulder.

"Why am I here?" I whispered, hugging my leg tighter. I sat like that for the entire lesson, sitting in the aisle next to Tristan. I caught him glancing at me periodically; he even patted my foot a couple times. That last time I about kicked him.

I didn't move when the bell rang, and I avoided everyone's eye contact. So, really, just like normal. Tristan must've realized my discomfort, because he stayed in his seat until everyone had filed out.

"I think you're doing good," Tristan commented. I waved him off as he stood up and handed me his backpack.

"I'll be doing better when we get out of here," I told him, clutching his backpack with my good arm.

"That's the spirit."

The length of time from the classroom to Tristan's car was small, considering we attended a large school, but it stretched into the time it took to reach the mainland. Every single person had their eyes glued on me, making it seem like Tristan was pushing me through molasses. Why. Why had I been stolen from the shadows and thrust into the spotlight? This was not what I had been trained for.

"Hey, look," Tristan murmured, pointing over my shoulder. I looked up from his bookbag, following his finger to a group of girls huddled around an open locker. "Isn't that Emily and them?" I nodded, recognizing them easily.

Tristan shifted course.

"Hey!" I whisper-shouted, hitting his hand in panic. "No, just keep going!" He ignored me.

Typical.

"Emily!" Tristan called. The group of girls turned. In my slowed sense of time, it took them a full five minutes to notice me. In reality, I was spotted in less than five seconds. They had surrounded me like vultures in less time than that.

"Lekia!"

"Oh my gosh, what happened?"

"I'm so glad you're okay!"

"Where'd you go on Friday?"

I clutched Tristan's bag closer to my chest, shielding myself against their onslaught. Their questions bounced inside my head, hitting a few essential nerve endings.

What had they asked again?

"Lekia," Tristan whispered, "tell them about your weekend." I shook my head, staring up at them. They each shared a look, then included Tristan in on the game. Finally, they all settled back on me.