Chapter 10

I'd been gone for two days. Long enough to file a missing person's report. But I'd called Mom before I'd shut my phone off. If she'd gotten the word to Lansing, I'd be fine.

If not, well... There'd probably be at least one police car outside my house.

I looked down at my gas gage nonchalantly and had to do a double take. The needle was on empty. As if on cue, my bike started to putter out. I pulled off to the side of the road as it finally came to a stop in front of a long driveway.

"What the crap," I muttered, pulling my cell phone out. "I could've sworn it was full." I pressed the power button on my phone. It powered up for a second after rebooting, flashed a warning of low charge, and then powered back off.

I groaned loudly, shoving it back into my pocket. My eyes wandered up the driveway to the house sitting a ways back. I hadn't slept a lot in the past two days. Maybe an hour max. Probably closer to thirty minutes. It probably wasn't even legal to drive on that much sleep, let alone communicating with people.

I threw my head back in exasperation, realizing that I didn't really have any other choice. I put the bike in neutral, jumped off of it, and slowly started making my way up to the house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The knock resonated in the silence of the morning. I was just hoping that someone would answer. I really didn't want to walk the rest of the way home.

"Yeah?" A voice came from behind the door. It sounded close. I peered up and found the peep hole just above my head.

"Hi, umm, my rocket ran out of gas and my phone lost its charge. Can I use yours to phone a tow?"

"Lekia?" I took a couple steps back from the door before realizing my helmet was still on. The person must've recognized my voice. I kept my helmet on and stepped back up to the door.

"What's it to you?" I asked, playing it safe. I heard the sigh even through the door and my helmet. There was a click and the door swung open, revealing none other than Maki Moore.

"Definitely Lekia," he smirked. I pulled my helmet off and tucked it under my arm, looking him up and down. He was still only in sweats. His bare feet poked out of the bottom of his sweats. And his chest...well...he definitely worked out.

"What time is it?" I asked, pushing past him into the coolness of his house.

"Like five forty," he replied, not even fazed with my promptness.

"You don't sound tired," I commented, putting my helmet on the couch next to the door and placing my leather jacket on top of that.

"Fell asleep early last night and woke up really early this morning." I wandered farther into the house, looking for the phone.

"How much sleep are you operating on?" he asked, following me. I'd located the phone.

"Not very much," I mumbled, focused on the phone. Maki came from behind and snatched the phone from me.

"I've got this. Go sit for a bit. You probably don't even know the address."

"3214 Kamehameha," I answered, but turned to go sit on the couch anyway. I'd just sit for a bit.

"So, where have you been for the past two days?" Maki asked, dialing a number on the phone.

I snuggled up on the couch, laying down slowly. I could not fall asleep.

"That's for me to know and you to find out," I mumbled, listening to the beep of the phone. And recognizing it.

"That's Lansing's number," I said, letting my eyes close. I was just resting them.