Chapter 2: Stranger × Danger

Four years later

         A large, white ship docked. Seagulls and the salty sea breeze. Hot wind and the shimmering blue sea. The hot sun glared down at her as she stood at the docks waiting for her father to arrive and fetch her. The warm ocean breeze went by blowing her curly, lavender colored hair behind her.

      Erraine breathed in the essence of the sea with closed eyes. Her fair white skin hurt quite a bit under the scorching sun. Her wide brimmed hat covered her face and pale, crystal pink eyes.

       Her sky blue summer dress fluttered with it, dancing in the wind with it's light but thick material. Suddenly, two little boys and a girl came to her. All three of them with beautifully tanned skin. Their clothes were of patched up dry cotton, white shirts and one pink and short pants.

      They were children no older than eight to ten. With welcoming and friendly smiles, they approached her, who was curiously glancing around the place with a huge smile. It was the look of a person who had never been alone before, as if she had never seen the sea like that.

     It was the common expression of a foreign tourist. The children approached her with beaming, yet shy smiles. They talked and played. They saw the flute that she was holding and asked her to play it, so she did.

      As she played a joyful tune, the fishermen and townsfolk looked at them. "Come on, kids, make music with me!" She told them cheerfully. Ben, started strumming his guitar, Keith with his harmonica and Mia with her violin.

     Together they played a merry tune and attracted more and more people. Soon enough they were engulfed by a huge crowd. After playing two more songs, she and the children stopped. The people clapped and slowly started dispersing.

      "Hey sister, will we see you again?" Mia asked her, with big brown eyes that were pleading. "I don't  know, but I'll try to visit." She answered enthusiastically after a moment of pause.

       Then, it started to pour heavy rain. Big, fat raindrops began to fall from the sky and cover the earth in it's tears. She quickly ushered the children to shelter, in a nearby waiting shed.

     She was soaked from head to toe, her dress was dripping wet, thankfully she was able to save her luggage from getting wet. Dragging the suitcase unceremoniously across paved gravel.

       Raindrops just went through her sun hat like flour through a sifter. She was shivering from the cold, her lavender colored hair became a shade darker and stuck to her skin.

       She clenched her teeth to keep it from chattering and crossed her arms across her chest to hug herself. She glanced at her pocket watch, it's golden chain slick from the water and she felt it become colder. The small hand ticked halfway to 12. It was half past 4 in the afternoon.

      'Quite early for rain. Ah, they're late.'

       Erraine mused to herself, staring listlessly at the falling rain and people running under the torrent. As she bent down to check her shoes, she noticed someone staring at her. She felt the focused gaze first and she looked up to see a young man a few feet infront of her.

       He had the most gorgeous silver hair and dazzling blue eyes she had ever seen in her life but, as she admired his beauty she noticed something. He was staring at her. Her heartbeat rose as he walked closer to her. Nervousness crept up her skin for some reason she couldn't define.

      Every step brought him closer, she followed where his eyes were looking and her eyes grew wide to see that they were on her chest. She quickly used her hands to cover her chest like a wrongly accused victim and when he was within reach, she slapped him, hard.