Chapter Three: Chocolate × and × Coffee

The next day they were boarding a flight on an airship, where she met the other guards, Melody and Basho. They were nice, Melody's personality was quite the opposite of Basho.

      But it seemed strange, they noticed, that she strangely felt as if she knew them.

      It was evident that since the encounter from the day before, Erraine couldn't seem to get along with Killua and vice versa. Kurapika reminded Killua time and time again to act more professionally.

      Each time, the former assassin would nod and say yes but as soon as he crosses paths with Erraine all of Kurapika's words flew forgotten. Their collisions always ended up with arguments.

       Like coke and mentos.

It drove every one else mad. Including Gon. Killua was exactly the opposite to when they met at the Hunter Exam. That continued for two more days of their travel. Erraine just didn't know why they argued like a cat and a dog.

      He acted as if she weren't his employer, and she didn't like the way he nitpicked every little thing she did. He kept on provoking her because she always fought back.

        Everyone around them, even Gon, was tired of the bickering. The two were simply like oil and water, immiscible.

      As the hours ticked by and they learned the two didn't mix together well, they learned the art of subtly ignoring them.

     It got to the point where Kurapika assigned Killua away from her. "Thank you. I've been waiting for that!" He spat, marching out of the room.

       As he left, Erraine stuck her tongue out childishly and waved with a grin on her face.

      The next morning, she woke up in a rare good mood feeling everything is right with the world. Erraine after her morning rituals walked into the kitchen with a big smile brighter than the sun.

         "Coffee?" Asked Gon with a grin on his face as she walked to the small kitchen of he aircraft. On his right hand was a pot of black coffee. "Uhm... Uh, sure." She intended it to sound natural but it came out hesitant, like how she really felt about coffee.

        Suddenly, Killua strolled in, whistling carelessly. As soon as their eyes met he scowled, she did too. He turned around to leave but then when he saw the pot of coffee on the marble countertop, he just shrugged her presence off.

        He walked on over, not sparing her a second glance and she too decided to return the cold shoulder.

       He grabbed a mug and grabbed the pot before she could. "Hey! Me first!" She complained with a pout. He just clicked his tongue and rolled his eyes. "Fine." He replied sarcastically. He poured coffee on her cup while she smiled sweetly, almost teasingly.

        "Thank you." She said in a sing song voice. With a spoonful of sugar in her hand, she hesitated unsure of how much she should put but then again, 'Have no fear.' they do say.

      With a shrug she poured the sugar in and stirred. If it was too sweet then, 'Oh well.', were her casual thoughts. But as soon as she took a sip, she recoiled at the bitter taste, almost spitting it out. Her nose crinkled and it didn't escape Killua's observant eyes.

        "What? Never tasted black coffee before?" He sarcastically remarked even then, she laughed nervously.

        He was right, this was the first time she had ever tasted coffee and her expression told him that he hit the nail on the head. With a look of shock and disbelief, Killua stared at her.

      'Man, I was just kidding. Who knew?'

       "You've never had coffee before?!" This time it was said as a legit question. "Yeah." Came her nonchalant answer, shrugging her shoulders and adding more sugar. "It's actually more bitter than I've heard. I underestimated black coffee."

       "Wow... I actually pity you now. You've wasted half your life by not knowing the bliss of coffee." He remarked, laughing. It did sound genuinely pitiful and subtly patronising.

      "Wasn't coffee invented in what ever crevice of the Earth you crawled out of?" He continued to ask.

      She paused, fearing that her cover had been blown but then she remembered that they couldn't have known. So she shrugged the nervousness off. "It's there alright. I just wasn't allowed to have coffee."

        "What a sad life." She ignored Killua's snide comment. "Here." She was surprised when he pulled milk out of the mini- fridge. "I figured you're not the type of person who enjoys bitter coffee." He continued to say, and she felt touched.

       Her cheeks heated up and she thanked him, stuttering a bit. True to his observation, she enjoyed the creamy coffee far more than the black bitter one.

       "You know, there are other types of coffee. Like pumpkin spice latte and iced coffee." He began naming different kinds of mouthwatering coffee she'd always heard of but had never tasted before.

     He leaned on the counter, propped on one of his elbows and casually sipped his coffee. For the first time since she met him they were actually having a decent conversation instead of an argument.

       "I'd like to try sweet and creamy ones! Oh, by the way, you seem to know an awful lot about coffee. Are you a part time barista or something? Or just a caffeine addict?"

      'Probably the latter.' Killua thought to himself but he didn't dare say it. When he was younger, he preferred sweet beverage but over the years, he developed a taste for bittersweet coffee, but he never lost his sweet tooth.

       He scoffed, looking away with his cheeks slowly turning red. "I don't need caffeine I can stay awake for seven days straight, and no, never been a barista but I do have a sister. She likes coffee a lot, well more on milkshakes or really creamy ones."

        "Really? I'd like to meet her sometime, and maybe we can go to a café. I'd like to try other varieties." She happily said, giving him a closed eye smile. "Sure thing. Know what? Let's go to one after we land." Her heart fluttered at what he said, beating in excitement.

       She had enjoyed talking about him so much that she forgot about Gon, who in turn left them alone after he scavenged for food in the kitchen. 'I hope this is he beginning of a peace treaty between them.' Was what he told himself sneakily walking out.

      Some time had passed and she was in the lounge with Gon and Killua. The soft, leather covered couch smelled like vintage. There was a small coffee table with snacks and a flower vase and two magazines.

      She hoped that after the coffee discussion earlier, she and Killua would argue less. She was wrong. Utterly wrong.

        "No!"
        "Yes!"

        "Gosh, would you stop, it tastes better this way!" She argued with him. As he continued to fight for the right of milk chocolate.

      "Milk chocolate tastes better." He answered defiantly. "No way, dark chocolate is sweeter!" She answered back and they kept arguing. "And it's far healthier than milk chocolate!"

      "Milk chocolate happens to make you feel better!"

       "That's an opinion, not a fact!"

        "Oh, yeah? Milk chocolate is more popular, how about that for a fact?"

     Until Gon suddenly spoke up.

      "Why are you arguing over chocolate, it's the same, milk or dark, it's both chocolate." The way he said it so innocently made her want to cry. She couldn't even be angry.

       'Where is the justice for dark chocolate!'

      "It's not the same!" She and Killua answered at the same time. They smiled at each other, realising they could get along after all.

       As they argued to Gon about the difference between dark and milk chocolate, the airship shook violently.