Chapter 1: Memories of Winter

Snow pattered soundlessly against the triangular window of the king's quarters as he and his wife sat across from one another at his desk, reviewing the morning's mail by candlelight. The fire crackled loudly in the hearth a few feet away, bringing a warm glow to the otherwise dull space.

Iduna looked out through the glass panes, the outside world obscured by the total darkness of the winter months. She was just able to make out the snow flurries of white and gray, and beyond that, under the lanterns lining the walkway to the castle gates, she imagined she could see the slow and halting movements of the castle's servants as they shuttled along the path. The town square, and the fjord beyond it, were entirely hidden from her view.

She shivered, drawing her heavy fur robe and maroon scarf overtop closer around her frame, and the small movement was enough to cause her to lose her grip on the letter opener in her other hand. It cut the side of her thumb as it clattered to the desk, and she released a small cry of surprise and pain as droplets of her blood fell on the envelope at the top of the unread stack, staining it red.

"Oh, dear," Agnarr sighed, pulling a handkerchief from his chest pocket and wrapping it around her open wound. "You must be more careful with that." He eyed her chattering teeth with concern. "Is the new robe helping even a little bit?"

Iduna looked away. "You know how difficult my condition has been," she said, gazing down at her swollen belly. "Even in rooms with the best-tended fires, I'm always cold." She touched the collar of the robe, shooting him a small glare, and added: "Anyway, it's not as if you paid for this yourself."

Agnarr frowned. "You know I'm working on that," he rejoined; but after another sharp look from his wife, he relented, returning his attention to the mail.

His eyes widened as he examined the seal, and he paused, causing Iduna to glance at it with curiosity.

"Who is it?"

He swallowed and began to open the letter, avoiding Iduna's still-drying blood splatters. "The Southern Isles," he said at length, causing her face to darken.

"Speak of the devil," she grumbled.

He read it in silence to himself at first, but at Iduna's unnerved expression, he passed the paper to her. She reluctantly accepted it.

Dearest Agnarr and Iduna,

Allow me to pass on my belated congratulations to you both for the auspicious news of your first child's coming! While I was surprised to hear that the delivery date is so soon, you cannot imagine the happiness this has brought my family and I, and especially to my youngest son, Hans. He is eager to meet his future wife and in-laws. Rest assured that we will be the first guests to arrive for her christening.

I have ordered a small gift for my future daughter-in-law which you should receive in about one month, just in time for her birth. Please accept this as a token of our continued friendship and soon-to-be unbreakable bonds of family. I look forward to hearing what you think of it when we meet again in person soon.

Yours respectfully,

Albert

Iduna scowled and crumpled the letter in her unbandaged hand. "How can he be so sure it will be a girl?" she muttered. "The nerve of that man! We should never have told him that I am with child."

"He would've found out eventually, whether we did or not," Agnarr pointed out. "And besides, we did wait a while – probably too long – to write to him about it. Which he obviously picked up on." He gestured for Iduna to hand him the ball of paper, which she did while sporting a glower. "I'm not sure there's any need to be so sullen, dear. Nils said it was likely to be a boy."