Chapter 2: Rebirth

Sunlight peered through slim holes between the drawn curtains of the king's chambers as he pored over incoming letters. He inspected seals with a small eyeglass, shoving some mail towards his notary-cum-adviser while opening others greater care, only to grunt or grumble with dissatisfaction once he had read their contents.

Only the sweat collecting at both men's foreheads, and above their upper lips, gave any indication as to the sweltering heat outside of the palace—a heat which the dark room did little to dispel.

A knock on the door roused them from their task. "What is it?" the king snapped, dabbing his face with a handkerchief.

"His Highness, Prince Hans, is here—as His Majesty commanded," a servant replied from the other side.

The king glanced up from his documents. "Come in, come in," he called, and the door was opened to reveal a young boy, standing at awkward attention.

The adviser waved the boy in, and the boy jumped a little at the instruction, shuffling forward as the door was closed behind them. His small hands, hidden within white gloves, were bound and fidgeting behind his back.

"Come forward, boy," the king commanded.

The prince complied, albeit with a halting gait.

The king shuffled through his pile of letters until he reached an envelope whose corner he had bent, pulling it out and waving it in the air as he finally looked at his son. "This one is from Arendelle," he stated, and asked: "You remember what I told you about that country?"

"Yes, father," the prince answered. "My wife will be from there."

"That's right," the king grunted. "And she is finally there—Princess Anna, born a few days ago." He rose from his seat to bend down and show the letter to the prince. "This one's healthy and in good condition, or so they say. They've invited us to the christening in a week's time. We will be attending, of course, so that you may meet your future bride."

The prince looked down at the ground, withdrawing into himself.

"Yes, father."

The king frowned. "Come out with it, boy. I won't have you sulking on such a fortuitous day."

The prince seemed to shrink further into his tiny frame. "Victor and Oskar and Noah and... they're all so mean, father," he whined, his lip trembling. "They say I'm not good enough to be married to the princess. They say I'm unlucky, and ugly, and—"

"Nonsense!" the king barked. "Your brothers are all imbeciles who don't have a lick of political sense. You must pay them no heed, and bear their cruelty and stupidity for a time. For in the end, you will gain the greatest reward of all."

He tipped the child's chin up so that their gazes met, and smiled. "You will be a king, Hans. And it will be worth every trial you have suffered at their hands, for you will become a stronger and better man for it."

The prince smiled a little in return, if unsurely, and his father released him as he returned to his desk. "Now go to your tutor. I've instructed him to ensure that you're well-read on Arendelle's history prior to our journey. The servants will pack your things."

The boy paused, and his father's brow rose. "You can go now," he dismissed him, and turned his attention back to his mail.

The adviser shot the prince a small warning look, at which the boy bowed, quickly making his way to the door.

"Hans," the king stopped him, his voice low, "aren't you forgetting something?"

The boy swallowed, turning around to bow again. His lips trembled as he faced the ground.