Chapter 5: Blue Eyes

By the time the prince and princess had sat down for breakfast, side by side and across from the king and queen, the sun shined with near blinding light onto the long dining table.

Anna ate at a lightning pace, barely managing the façade of propriety as she buttered her toast furiously with a knife and fork before swallowing it almost whole.

Hans hid a grin behind his polite smile, and took smaller bites in-between sips of tea.

"My, you must have worked up quite an appetite in the mountains!" Iduna exclaimed. "Didn't Anette pack you enough to eat?"

Hans leaned forward to reply, but Anna beat him to the punch. "Yeah, but you know camp food is like," she said through a mouthful of food, swallowing it when her father shot her a warning look. She dabbed a napkin at her lips with uncharacteristic primness, and then turned her nose up. "If you'd just given us a little more time up there, we could have done some berry picking."

She glanced at Hans, and clarified: "Perfect time of year for it."

Agnarr tried to frown through his amusement. "According to Anette, she packed enough for a whole caravan. Not to mention the bottle of Spanish red she noticed was missing from the cellars."

His daughter went red. "Papa..."

His lips tweaked with a smirk. "Don't worry. I won't tell on you." At Iduna's raised brow, he cleared his throat and added in a sterner tone: "Not today, I mean. But next time—"

"There won't be a 'next time,'" Iduna cut in, her calm smile making Anna gulp. She turned her attention to the prince. "Now, Hans—why don't you tell us more about the trip? Did you enjoy yourself?"

He nodded. "Immensely. The beauty there is..." He paused, his eyes lighting up. "Unmatched."

"It was nice and quiet, too," Anna commented, and then added with a frown: "Except for some of the company we had to keep."

Iduna's brow rose. "Oh?"

"That guide – the young one, Kristoff – he was a real brute, Mama," Anna complained, setting down her utensils for the first time that morning to cross her arms. "So sarcastic, and rude, and... well, nothing like Hans, that's for sure."

Agnarr's smirk widened. "Is that so? I'm quite surprised to hear it, since he came highly recommended by Master Andersen." He looked at Iduna. "How was it that he described the young man? 'No-nonsense, but knowledgeable'?"

The princess huffed. "Yeah, that sounds like him alright."

Iduna's eyes twinkled. "What did you think of him, Hans?"

The prince hesitated. "I'd say he had a... unique sort of charm about him."

Agnarr and Iduna laughed into their tea while Anna rolled her eyes.

"In all honesty," Hans continued, "I had a wonderful time up there. Reminded me of some of my most peaceful nights at sea." He paused for effect, glancing at Anna. "I'd like to go back as well."

Anna beamed, but Iduna and Agnarr exchanged cautious looks. "You'll have plenty of chances to after the wedding," said the king.

His daughter frowned. "Papa," she began, impatience evident in her quirked lips, "this was the first time in ages that I got to leave the castle grounds without you, and – as you can see for yourself – everything went fine. Not a hair on either of our heads was harmed. Right, Hans?"

The prince gave a short nod, sensing the growing irritation of her father. "That's true."

"Right. So," she continued, her hands knitting together in her lap, "why not let us go back, just for a few hours this time? We don't even have to go that high up. Just enough so that we can find some berries, and—"