02 | aggie, you bitch

HURRICANES WERE SOMETHING that Emerson was fairly used to, having lived on the island of the Outer Banks for her entire life

HURRICANES WERE SOMETHING that Emerson was fairly used to, having lived on the island of the Outer Banks for her entire life. Something she had never done before, however, was wake up in an abandoned building the day after one with a boy she barely knew. She woke up with a start and a crick in her neck due to sleeping on the hard cement floor, and panic filled her chest when she realized she wasn't in her bed. She quickly remembered the events that transpired the day before and relaxed slightly, but still felt a little uncomfortable.

The old building still creaked slightly in the light summer breeze, which made Emerson uneasy as she pushed herself to her feet and ripped the cardboard off one of the windows. This attracted John B's attention, who woke up startled from the sound. He jumped up and followed after her in concern, the two teens stopping their actions once they were outside.

"Whoa," Emerson breathed. Her eyes wandered around the town and took in the immense amount of damage that had occurred overnight. Trees were blocking the road, rooftops were barely in tact, and debris was scattered everywhere.

"Holy shit," John B dragged out, having a similar reaction to Emerson. "Agatha, what did you do?"

Emerson sighed at the sight of downed power lines. This happened every year; a hurricane would rip through the island and leave the Cut without power for most of the summer. That was one of Emerson's greatest inconveniences. She lived at the library during times like this so she could use the internet and continue studying. She couldn't stand the fact that Figure Eight had generators and the money to fix everything within a week, while everyone else was left scrambling.

Without another word, Emerson ducked back into the building and grabbed her backpack. She slung it over her shoulders before climbing back out onto the sidewalk and started her journey back to her house. John B furrowed his eyebrows and frowned, jogging to catch up with her.

"Hey! Where are you going?" He called.

"Home," Emerson stated. "I need to check on the house and make sure there's no damage."

"Now?" John B almost sounded disappointed, but Emerson brushed that thought out of her mind.

"Yes?" She questioned back. "When else?"

John B paused and let out a sigh. He wasn't used to Emerson's mature behavior and high expectations for herself. He and his friends would spend the day exploring and surveying the damage, so he was slightly confused by Emerson's hurry to get home.

"Okay, at least let me walk you," he offered.

Emerson glanced over at him and pursed her lips. "I'm good," she stated.

"Come on," John B pushed. "I'm goin' this way too."

Emerson let out a huff and gripped her backpack straps. John B was very nice, but she couldn't ignore the things she'd heard about him.