18 | exile

EMERSON WAS AWOKEN to the sound of sirens, something she had become strangely accustomed to in the last forty eight hours

EMERSON WAS AWOKEN to the sound of sirens, something she had become strangely accustomed to in the last forty eight hours. It seemed that anywhere she looked, a police car was speeding by with the sirens blaring. It left a sick feeling in her stomach and she wished she could go back to sleep.

JJ was already awake, which wasn't all too surprising to her. She'd noticed the more time she spent with him that the boy tried to stay up as long as he could. He was always the last one to go to sleep and the first one up in the mornings. She wondered sometimes if he had nightmares, or if he just preferred to be awake and keep watching over everything.

"He's pinched for sure," JJ murmured. He had gotten up and strode over to the wall of windows that lined one side of the Wreck, resting his arm on the frame. He bit his lip nervously and stared out at the rising sun, frowning as yet another cop car sped by.

"No." Pope shook his head and moved to join JJ by the window. He was still wearing his fancy clothes from the day before, though they looked less that stellar now that they were wrinkled and covered in dirt. "They wouldn't still be patrolling if they caught him."

JJ stared at Pope for a long moment, as if he were trying to absorb his friend's words and convince himself they were true. "Let's hope."

"You know, we were in that car. They're probably looking for us, too." Everyone turned at the sound of Kie's voice as she sat up, having just opened her eyes and forced herself awake after a restless night.

"Maybe," Emerson murmured. "But we're just accomplices, if that. They wouldn't still be flying around out there if they'd found John B."

"Well, if we're gonna be outlaws, we might as well help him," Pope stated, standing up straighter and squaring his shoulders.

"So, what?" JJ questioned. "Find him before they do?"

"What's that gonna do?" Emerson chorused. Anyone with common sense could conclude that a group of teenagers was no match for an entire police precinct, but Pope didn't look like he was going to be swayed. He grabbed what Emerson recognized was JJ's dirt bike key and spun it around his finger as he sauntered outside.

"I'm gonna get gas for the boat," Pope said, hovering by the door.

"Hey, you be careful," Kie said softly. Her eyes were large and round, practically pleading with Pope. Emerson watched silently as he stared at her for sever seconds before completely ignoring her statement and turning back to JJ.

"Meet me at the dock at three. Don't be late."

Emerson and JJ exchanged a wordless glance before their eyes were on Kie, who had jumped to her feet looking like Pope just stabbed her. Neither of them made any move to stop her when she chased after Pope, trying to yell an apology over the sound of the motorbike.

"What the hell happened between them?" JJ asked quietly, his eyes still wide as he tried to process whatever it was that just happened.

"Uh..." Emerson trailed off, her own eyes widening when Kie stormed back in and slammed the door. She sniffled and wiped her eyes angrily, stomping to the kitchen and grabbing a bag. Emerson slowly turned around and followed suit, gently grabbing JJ's shirt to pull him along with her.