04 | rose colored glasses

EMERSON HAD BEEN hoping that her mother wouldn't catch wind of the chaos that had ensued a few days prior

EMERSON HAD BEEN hoping that her mother wouldn't catch wind of the chaos that had ensued a few days prior. But of course, she should've known that she would hear about it. Ashley George knew just about everything that happened on the island since she was a lawyer and had connections with more than half the people who lived there — especially the sheriff and the kooks.

The girl had been listening to her mother drone on and on about how careless the Pogues were for the majority of their drive home. Emerson wanted to say something, but she didn't know what. She also didn't want to get in a fight, but she was growing more and more annoyed at how her mother was so blindly supporting the kooks.

"Look, I don't condone the fighting either," Emerson said carefully, "but I heard that Topper threw the first punch."

"Oh, nonsense," Ashley dismissed. She shook her head immediately. "He wouldn't do such a thing."

"Mom, they're still people," Emerson huffed. "Why is it so hard for you to believe that they're also capable of stepping out of line?"

Ashley pulled into the driveway and parked the car, letting out a heavy sigh. "I'm not doing this anymore."

Of course, now that I have an opinion, Emerson thought angrily to herself.

"Okay," the girl muttered as she trudged into the house after her mother.

"The Pogues had a gun, Emerson. They brought a gun to a party filled with wasted kids. And I'm sure that weapon was not legally attained," Ashley chastised as she set her purse down on the counter.

"I thought we weren't doing this anymore," Emerson stated as she sat down at the kitchen island and fiddled with her own purse.

"What if you had been there, hm?" Ashley continued. "What if those kids actually got hurt?"

Emerson swallowed thickly. She almost wanted to tell her mother that she was there, and she had seen first hand how cruel the kooks acted. But she decided against that to save herself from even more criticism. "Okay, yeah, someone brought a gun. But that still doesn't condone Topper's actions. What, he's just allowed to run around and do whatever he wants because he's rich?"

"He has a stable and loving home," Ashley stated callously. "He knows better. Those Pogues, however, god. They're like homeless bandits, just running around and causing trouble."

"Right," Emerson breathed. She should have known nothing she said to her mother would resonate with her. She was just as bad as the kooks, thinking that everything revolves around them and that they could do no wrong. Maybe, Emerson thought, she did believe in the kook versus pogue theory. The more she considered it, the angrier she realized she was about the entire situation. Certainly neither side was completely innocent, but it pissed her off that Topper could start a fight like that and get off scotch free. She idly hoped that JJ didn't get in too much trouble, since surely the police had heard about a gun being involved. "I'm gonna go to the library. I'll be back later."