11 | visions of gold

APPARENTLY, JOHN B'S MASTER plan was tricking Sarah and Kiara into going out to the boat in the marsh and stranding them there overnight

APPARENTLY, JOHN B'S MASTER plan was tricking Sarah and Kiara into going out to the boat in the marsh and stranding them there overnight. Emerson had been instructed to help John B get Sarah there, telling the girl that she wanted to hang out and try to come up with a game plan with her and John B to retrieve the gold, and then John B locked her in the belly of the boat until Kiara arrived. Emerson hadn't been very confident in this plan, because if two people didn't want to talk then forcing them to be alone together usually didn't solve anything. Her parents were a prime example of that. But, John B hadn't cared and was adamant that they execute the plan anyway.

"What's the worst that could happen?" He'd told her. "It's not like they're gonna kill each other."

"I wouldn't be so sure," Emerson had responded wearily.

But nevertheless, the plan had somehow been put into motion and the remaining Pogues had just arrived back to the chateau after basically abandoning Sarah and Kiara in the marsh. They were not happy, so Emerson just hoped they wouldn't still be pissed off when they went to go save them the next morning.

"If they end up killing each other, I want no part in the cleanup," Emerson stated as she and the boys piled onto the dock and made their way to the chateau's backyard.

"C'mon, it'd be pretty sick to see 'em try," JJ chuckled.

"I already partook in one fight," Emerson muttered. "That's plenty enough for me." She skipped ahead of JJ and flicked his hat off his head, giggling while he cursed her out as she plopped down on a log that bordered the fire pit.

"I mean, they're gonna be together all night," Pope reasoned. "They've gotta acknowledge each other eventually."

"Exactly," John B hummed. He crouched in front of the fire pit and held a piece of burning paper against the kindling until they had a few small flames licking at the wood. "Sometimes I have good ideas."

"Sometimes," Emerson repeated. "Not very often."

The group settled down around the fire, just staring at the flames as they danced upwards. JJ found a stick nearby and held it over the embers, watching as the tip turned orange. They were all silent for a while, each immersed in their own thoughts. Emerson relished in the peace that she felt despite the current situation between Sarah and Kie, and was enjoying just relaxing in the summer night. It reminded her of when she used to play outside as a child, running around the dewy grass as the sun set and trying to catch fireflies.

Crickets chirped in the background and the occasional loon crowed from somewhere near the water. But other than that, it was silent. Peaceful. The yard was a dark paradise, illuminated by the pale moonlight and the fire in front of them. Emerson decided then that she would be content here forever.

"So, you guys actually found the gold?" She spoke up after a few quiet minutes. She dragged her gaze up from the mesmerizing flames and looked at John B.