4: panic

“Wei Kuo!” Zi Xieren called, panting as he caught up with the newly turned 11 year old

“You’re here?” Wei Kuo glanced back at him, a smirk on his face. “You took your time so I helped myself,” As he said that, the sun’s light managed to break through the canopy of trees, illuminating the massacre the young one had committed.

“Ha!” He ran a hand through his hair. “Yeah, I can see that.”

“Is it because he’s young?” Meng Tian huffed and puffed beside Cao Shuren, who did a halfhearted shrug.

“Saved us some time and effort, though,” Ren Zedong, courtesy name Guanyu, walked up to them with Bai Zhenya beside him. “Glad to know I can trust you to do the work for us, little man,” He gave him a thumbs up. Wei Kuo returned it with a grin.

“Treat me to some delicious food when we get back!”

Bagging up the bodies, the mercenary troop headed back into town. It had been a little over a year and a half since the Wei brothers joined them, and it had been a little under a year since Wei Kuo was allowed to join the boys for an actual mission.

Wei Ying was not allowed to participate, so they mostly left him with friends of the troop leader. Honestly, Wei Kuo had almost forgotten the fact that they were living in an anime he’d watched. Well, it might have been the book since things that didn’t happen in the anime were happening, but either way, Wei Kuo was thriving.

That is, until they got back. “YOU LOST HIM?!” Wei Kuo exploded. Apparently, as the two adults explained, they had gone into town to by groceries and the female of the couple had gotten sidetracked by some pretty jewelry. When she realized she’d zoned out, she quickly tried to find her husband.

Easily doing so since they’d been doing the same trip for years, she was surprised that Wei Ying wasn’t with him. The obvious answer, “I thought he was with you.”

Thus, everybody was panicking.

“How long has it been?!” Wei Kuo demanded, as the troop had been away for several days. The husband scratched his chin.

“Uh…three days…”

“THREE—” He stopped himself from another rage, instead opting to sigh and clench his fists along with his jaw.

“We’ve already scowered the entire town, but nothing,” The wife spoke up, tears in her eyes. From fear of Wei Kuo’s wrath or actual worry for Wei Ying, the former didn’t care.

“Hey, tell everyone to unload their stuff from the horses—” Zi Xieren called back to Bai Zhenya, only to feel a gust of wind slap him in the face. “Wei Kuo!” He yelled, sensing the boy already getting further away from them. “Dammit!”

“I’ll go after him!” Cao Shuren reassured, jumping onto his horse’s back and bolting after the reckless prodigy. It turned into a mad chase, Wei Kuo practically flying through the town and actually registering everything he went past, and Cao Shuren not anywhere near catching up but close enough to have him in his sights.

Wei Kuo had no idea where he was going, but there was something tugging his heart in the direction he was going, and he had no other leads so it was his best option. If his thoughts were cars, they would have gotten so many tickets from how fast they were going.

Is Wei Ying okay?
Could he have been injured?
Could he have died?
In that short amount of time?
Did he freeze to death?
Was he close to freezing to death?
Was he warm?
Did he just wander off?
How far could he have gone?
Was the reason they hadn’t found him that not even his bones were left?
Was that even possible?

His purple eyes flashed left and right, searching and begging with all his heart that he’d be able to find his brother before it was too late. And then, in a stroke of luck, the forest broke way to a town of ruins, covered in snow.

Where is this? Wei Kuo asked himself, slowly his horse down faintly. Could Wei Ying have gotten this far? Why would he even come here?

Right when he was deciding to keep going, Wei Kuo heard a scream. He knew that scream. Before the scream even ended, he was already spurring his horse towards the noise. It was his brother!

Please be safe, he pleaded in his mind, gripping the reins tightly. I’ll be there soon!

Snowfall pelted his face as he rode, the sound of dogs barking became clearer. Was Wei Ying with someone? That had dogs? Then why was he screaming? It wasn’t a laughing scream, it was the terrified kind.

So many possibilities swarmed Wei Kuo, and just as he turned a corner, he saw what was happening.

“Calm down, don’t panic. You’re safe now,” Jiang Fengmian told the shivering boy tenderly. Seeing that the dogs were retreating, Wei Kuo could safely say that they were wild and definitely not friendly. “Come, let’s go home,” He stretched out his hand to Wei Ying, who’s face brightened.

…Should I leave? Wei Kuo asked himself, slowly having his horse move backwards. However, it seemed that fate wanted him to be seen.

“Gigi!” Wei Ying exclaimed, having seen him right as he’d taken Jiang Fengmian’s hand. This, obviously, got the clan leader’s attention, so he turned to face where Wei Ying was looking.

Well, no use in hiding now, he kept the grimace off his face as he had the horse trot over. “Thank you for saving my brother, Clan Leader Jiang,” He bowed respectfully, drawing a light chuckle from the man.

“So you remember me, Wei Zexian?” He smiled, hoisting Wei Ying onto his hip to make it more comfortable for both of them.

“Yes sir,” Wei Kuo replied. “May I inquire as to why you are here?”

“I’ve been searching for you two,” Jiang Fengmian glanced between Wei Ying and Wei Kuo. “Ever since I heard your parents died. I came to take you back to Lotus Pier—”

“Wei Kuo!” The three heard Cao Shuren yelling, causing the person being called to sweatdrop. Great timing, dude.