12: conversations

"Gege! Gege open the door!"

"Hold up, I'm coming!" Wei Kuo called as he tied his sash, then made his way over to the door. Opening it, he found his little brother awaiting him with an excited expression on his face. "Hey, what's up?"

"Can we sleep together tonight?" He asked, putting his hands together pleadingly. The older of the two smiled with a nod.

"Sure, I don't see why not. Come on in," He stepped aside to allow the younger boy to enter his room. Instantly, Wei Wuxian practically flew inside and jumped onto the bed with a grin. "Take off your outer clothes and shoes, A'Xian," Wei Kuo rolled with eyes playfully as his brother pouted at him.

"Fiiine," The boy drawled as he untied his outer sash. "You're almost as strict as Madame Yu."

"Nah, I just don't want dirt in my bed," He ruffled his brother's hair, drawing a laugh from him. Soon, once he had stripped of his outer robes and his shoes, Wei Wuxian wrapped his arms around his brother's torso.

"I missed you, gege."

"I missed you too," Wei Kuo smiled softly as he patted his brother's hair. "Why don't you let go so we can lay down? Then we can cuddle."

"Okay!" The boy immediately let go and burrowed under the blankets, making the older of the two snicker as he soon joined him in the bed.

"So, was missing me all that prompted this honor, or is there more?" Wei Kuo questioned as they snuggled into each other, meaning it wasn't hard to pick up the blush that appeared on his little brother's face. "Do tell."

"I heard you and uncle Jiang talking earlier," Wei Wuxian murmured, drawing his lips into his mouth for a moment. "And I was hoping...that you would make me a sword..."

"..." It was silent for a moment after this request was aired, and this made the young boy's lip start trembling, figuring he was being rejected. However, he suddenly felt his older brother's body start shaking, causing him to look up.

This jackass is laughing.

"D-Don't look at me like that!" Wei Kuo wheezed. "You're just s-so cute!"

"I'm not cute!" Wei Wuxian huffed exaggeratedly. "I'm adorable!"

"Okay," The older of the two grinned, moving and locking his brother in a headlock as he gave him a noogie.

"G-gege! Stawppp!" The boy thrashed as they both laughed, so after he had gotten his fill, Wei Kuo released him and moved so he was laying on his side with his elbow proping him up. The younger boy quickly copied him.

"I'll make you a sword like no other, didi," Wei Kuo promised, the words warming Wei Wuxian's heart and penetrating his very soul. "I love you, Wei Wuxian."

"No," The boy denied, which made a flash of confusion and hurt to cross his brother's face. "I'm A'Ying to you," He scowled playfully at him, which immediately softened Wei Kuo's expression.

"Alright, A'Ying. Can I take this as you saying you don't like it when I call you A'Xian?" He questioned with a tilt of his head, to which the other boy nodded.

"It doesn't feel right," Wei Wuxian frowned deeply. "Because you're A'Xian, not me."

"...that I am," Wei Kuo hummed, hugging his brother again. "I'm sorry I made you uncomfortable. Please tell me if something like this ever happens again and I'll correct it, okay?"

"Okay gege," He breathed as his eyelids wilted, so with a smile, the older of the two pressed his lips to his brother's forehead and closed his eyes as well. The night passed, and soon the sun rose. Wei Kuo rose as well, making sure not to wake his brother in his doing so.

As colors painted the sky, Wei Kuo sat on a pier with his legs dangling over the edges and his feet splashing through the water. His boots laid next to him, sprauled out since he had not taken the slightest bit of care when disgarding them from his person. It was quite a sight, Jiang Cheng would admit.

Making his way over to him, the younger boy set himself down beside the older boy and looked over the water into the horizon. "Good morning, Jiang Cheng," Wei Kuo greeted as his gaze shifted from the sky to the person by his side.

"Morning," Jiang Cheng responded, glancing at him briefly before returning his eyes to the water. "It's beautiful out here."

"Yeah, I agree," The older of the two hummed as he leaned back on his hands. "This time of day is the best."

"Wei Wuxian slept in your room, right?" The young Jiang heir murmured, which drew a raised eyebrow from the other boy.

"He did. Why do you ask?"

"Nevermind," He scoffed, quickly turning his head away. "...I forgot to mention something yesterday."

"So there's something you want to tell me?" Wei Kuo surmised with a knowing smile. "I'm ready to listen, whenever you're ready to talk."

"...You always sound so mature," Jiang Cheng grumbled to himself, even as the older boy caught it, before he swiftly turned to face him. "I have a courtesy name now."

"Oh wow," His eyes widened. "Congratulations, I'm happy for you. Are you going to tell me what it is?"

"It's..." He trailed off, hesitating. "Wanyin."

"Beautiful," Wei Kuo hummed, causing the younger boy's eyes to dialate. "It suits you. So, Jiang Wanyin," Wei Kuo winked. "Should I start calling you A'Yin now?"

"No," The heir shook his head after taking a moment to process the sound of his new name coming from the older boy's mouth. "You can just use my given name..."

"I guess I can do that," He beamed at him at just the right angle that his face glowed. No, it wasn't the angle, Jiang Cheng realized with a gulp, Wei Zexian himself is the one making himself glow. "So, should I call you A'Cheng or Jiang Cheng?" Wei Kuo questioned, making the younger boy splutter.

"E-Either is fine!" He promptly stood up and brushed off his clothes. "Come on, you probably want to be back before Wei Wuxian wakes up alone."

"Right you are," The older boy sprung up and took a second to grab his shoes. "Shall we go together?"

"I'm only going with you because we're going in the same direction!"

"If you say so," Wei Kuo chuckled before ruffling the boy's head. "Love you too, A'Cheng."