14: heads up

"Someone's coming to meet me?" Wei Kuo repeated what he had just heard from Jiang Fengmian, which got a nod in return.

"At the last discussion conference, a few people expressed their interest in you," Madame Yu went on to explain a bit. "One of which was Sect Leader Nie, who has two sons, his oldest being a few years older than you, and the other is about Wei Wuxian's age."

"Oh," So I'm gonna be meeting Nie Mingjue and Nie Huaisang, the boy thought to himself for a brief second before smiling. "So that's who's visiting?"

"Yes," She confirmed.

"Sect Leader Nie wished to see your battle abilities, which he heard me praising," Jiang Fengmian added. "They should be arriving within the next few days, so this is just a heads up."

"Cool, I appriciate it," Wei Kuo said, then grinned as Jiang Yanli added some more food onto his trey. "Thank you most kindly, my lady," He winked at her, causing her to raise her sleeve to her mouth to cover her giggles. Madame Yu rolled her eyes.

"Do we need to teach you basic manners or can we trust that you'll behave yourself, Wei Kuo?" She demanded a second later, causing her daughter's giggles to die out as the boy cleared his throat.

"Half and half sounds good to me," He eventually replied with a grin, making the woman deadpan. "Oh, I mean," He searched for the words to reiterate what he had just said. "Maybe like a crash course? I'll behave as best I can, but I literally know nothing except how to bow and compliment people."

"Ha... very well," the Zi Zhizhu sighed, rubbing one of her temples as her husband smiled.

"Hey, A'Ying," Wei Kuo threw a grin at him. "You're gonna get a new friend soon, isn't that great?"

"Yeah!" The younger boy beamed with a nod, causing the even younger boy next to him to huff.

"What about me, huh? Wei Wuxian can't hog everybody!" He reprimanded, causing the boy to laugh and throw his arms around him.

"Don't worry shidi! I still like you the best, no matter what!"

"Bah, who cares about that?!" Jiang Cheng scoffed with a roll of his eyes, but he looked quite satisfied.

"Oh, that reminds me," Wei Kuo turned to the clan leader. "When do you think those two will be ready for swords?"

"Give them another two years, A'Kuo," Jiang Fengmian responded with a smile. "We'll talk about it more then. For now, some of the older disciples could use their own swords."

"'Kay," He held up the okay sign. "I'd need to meet 'em before I can start working on their swords though, since getting a feel for the person is what it's all about."

"Very well. Would you like to meet them all at once or one by one?" He asked in turn.

"One at a time," The boy answered. "I might get the vibes confused and then nobody'll be happy."

"The amount of slang you use is appauling," Madame Yu exhaled as she dabbed her mouth with a napkin.

"But you still love me!" He made finger guns at her, causing an immediately deadpan to appear as she glared at him.

"I do not love you, Wei Kuo."

"You do like me though!" He closed-eye grinned at her, and so she sighed and shook her head.

"Just shut up before you hurt yourself."

"Yes ma'am!" He snickered. From there, the rest of dinner went as usual with a bit more horseplay and some more scolding, but in the end, everyone headed to their rooms. This time, instead of it being Wei Wuxian that came to visit, it was Jiang Yanli who was knocking on Wei Kuo's door.

"Would you care for a walk?" She asked when he opened up. Giving her a once-over in confusion, the boy eventually nodded and off they went.

It was a quiet night, not many people were still out, and it wasn't late enough for crickets or water bugs to be singing yet. The sun was just barely down, so the sky was filled with fading colors. "So, is there a reason for this spontaneous visit," Wei Kuo questioned as the two walked together along the pier. "Or is it just to digest?"

"Does there have to be a reason to walk with my brother?" Yanli questioned with a soft smile.

"Nope," Wei Kuo returned the look with one of his own. "I'm always more than happy to spend time with my goddess of a sister."

"Oh stop," She giggled with a shake of her head. "You're too much, A'Kuo."

"One of my many charms~" He winked playfully, sticking his tongue out. The rest of the walk was spent with more bantering and a bunch of laughter, so when they came to the crossroads where they were to separate, the two were content to hug and wish each other goodnight. "Jin Zixuan is wasted on her," Wei Kuo murmured on his way back.

Of course, he had no intention of interfering with that aspect of the novel, considering it did end up working out, but the fact that Yanli would have to spend years in an unrequited--borderline emotionally abusive--love just made him so angry. She shouldn't have to endure that kind of pain. He knew he could make her happy, seeing that she was always laughing and smiling with him anyway.

But of course, he had noticed the way she had drawn a line between them by calling him her brother. He had immediately agreed when he proceeded to call her his sister, since that was the only appropriate thing to do. Maybe she had thought that all of his flirting was going too far or something, so that she needed to remind them of their roles.

Just as he always did, Wei Kuo would grin and bear it to the best of his abilities, and he would protect his loved ones, no matter their status or relationship. With that thought, Wei Kuo strode to his room and finally retired for the night.