one

You let out a little groan as you turned around. You immediately knew you were naked as the cold wood floor sent chills down your bare body. Slowly opening your eyes, you took in your surroundings. You were home, in the house you had just inherited, boxes still pilled high around the living room you were laying in. Suddenly, someone else groaned beside you. You teased, clenching your eyes shut. The headache you had been ignoring since you woke finally broke free and you realized that your late night drunkenness must have caused you to bring a guy home.

You let out a long breath as you reopened your eyes and looked over at the hopefully-still-asleep man beside you. He wasn't bad looking at all. You had really done well. He was blonde with a chiseled body. He had to have been at least six foot, which didn't hurt. He was naked though, all out in the open on your living room floor. Cringing, you sat up, pulling one blanket from the couch to quickly cover yourself before standing and pulling one over him. You stood up silently, and began making your way out of the room. It was your first day of your intern year as a doctor, you couldn't afford to be late.

You successfully made it to the doorway of the living room without a sound before the floorboard beneath you creaked. You should there, frozen, closing your eyes in hopes that the man sleeping behind you wouldn't wake. You could hear him turn over, letting a small moan out of his mouth. Waiting a few more seconds, you started going again.

"You know..." the man started, clearly in his morning voice, "it's usually rude to disappear on someone after spending a night with them."

You quickly spun around to see him, still laying on his stomach, looking up at you with a sly grin.

"Well," you cleared your throat, "it's my house, so it's not that rude."

He stood up, not grabbing the blanket as quick as he should have, letting you have another look at him. When you met his eyes again, it was clear that you had been caught staring and that he was enjoying it.

"Why the rush to silently get out of here?" He asked, tucking the blanket around his waist. "Have a husband or a boyfriend you have to hurry and get ready for?"

"Neither," you responded, tightening your hold on the blanket covering you. "I'm running late for my first day of work. So, if we're done here, you should go."

"We don't have to be done here."

"I think we do." You kicked up his shirt, grabbing it, and throwing him at it. "You need to go." He caught his shirt, slipping it on slowly over his clear cut abs. "So, um, goodbye... um..."

"Steve," he reached his hand out.

"Steve. Right," you shook his hand. "Y/N."

"Y/N." He smiled. It almost took your breath away, but you couldn't let it show.

"Yeah."

"Nice meeting you."

"Yeah. Bye, Steve."

You fled up the stairs, hoping that by the time you were done getting ready, Steve would be gone.

~~~

You made it to the Avengers Medical Center just in time to meet up with the other interns in your year. The Chief of Surgery, Dr. Nicholas J. Fury, was leading a small tour to the ORs. He started talking as the interns took in the OR.

"Each of you comes here hopeful. Wanting in on the game. A month ago you were in med school being taught by doctors. Today, you are the doctors," Fury stated. "The seven years you spend here as a surgical resident will be the best and worst of your life. You will be pushed to the breaking point. Look around you. Say hello to your competition. Eight of you will switch to an easier specialty. Five of you will crack under the pressure. Two of you will be asked to leave. This is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play? That's up to you."