Grom

They were stood up at grom.

One of them would have been bad enough, but both of them? They hoped that the universe would give them a semblance of peace, but no. The one night they'd been looking forward to for so long was ruined because they're stupid dates had decided that they weren't worth they're time.

And annoyingly, Mittens seemed to have had quite the successful night.

Edric was of course proud of his sister, how could he not be? Becoming grom queen was no easy feat and doing it with her crush, (Both of the twins knew about that. Amity wasn't exactly being subtle) made her even happier.

But as Amity flocked around with Luz, the twins had wordlessly sat on the bleachers, eyes darting to the door every two seconds, hoping their dates would miraculously arrive at any moment.

They never came. 

This seriously sucked.

Edric's jacket draped over Emira's shoulders, they'd moved outside to the stairs of the school, looking into the forest nearby sulking about how shitty their situation was. Though Edric was primarily pissed off, Emira had tears in her eyes and had curled up in a ball as she sat by his side.

"Did we do something?"

"Don't think so. They're probably just jerks." Edric scoffed.

Emira sighed, burying her face in her legs, "But she seemed so nice! If she didn't want to go out with me she could have just said no..." 

"Yeah..." Edric said, keeping his eyes glued on the forest, "I suppose it could have ended up worse. Imagine if one of our dates would have shown up and not the other. Now that would have been uncomfortable."

He meant that. If his date had showed up and Emira's hadn't he'd probably spent more time with her than him. He would of course try his best to make a good impression, but making sure Emira was okay was more important to him.

But instead of Emira smiling, she looked up and shot him a glare, "I'd prefer her to have shown up and yours to not have rather than this. Instead it's just us again. Just like always." 

Her tone was bitter and Edric couldn't help but feel a bit hurt at her words. He remembered when they were younger and he used to think of life as him and Emira versus the world and that they'd be twins together forever. And even if Edric still wanted that, Emira seemed to be trying to distance herself from that idea.

She wasn't distancing herself from him per say, but Edric had noticed her actively trying to befriend more people without him.

He knew it was selfish, but Edric didn't want things to change. He wanted the two of them to keep sharing. Friends, clothes, hobbies, their lives.

But seeing Emira glaring at him, he couldn't tell her that. And besides, he suspected she already knew.

"Ah, well, personally, I like us." he chuckled, standing up "C'mon, we should probably get going. Mittens is going to be very full of herself when we get back, so a bit of teasing would be fun, don't you think?" offering her his hand, Emira reluctantly took it, pulling herself to her feet with a huff.

Before the two of them could even start walking, a faint rustling sound could be heard from the bushes. Then a louder one. And then a crash. The wind hurling around could be heard as a griffin flew through the trees, knocking many out of the way and branches and leaves flying everywhere.