Chapter 2: Minh's Email

After trying to adjust to her new neighborhood and new role as a big sister and little helper to her mom, Erin finds herself at home with her siblings on a Friday afternoon. She feels exhausted but is it in her head? She may be depleted because she is not adjusting well to her new surroundings since she has not made any new friends and it is different from a former life she has always known.

Erin discovers she now has access to the internet. Back in the day, when dial-up was slow and sparse, it would take forever to make online contact with others. Imagine, if one could not get a hold of friends in seconds, if not minutes. Erin finally receives an email from her best pal in Laguna and not only does she realize how she is able to keep in touch with her, but she gets to tell someone else how she is adjusting to her current changes. 

Her stepfather, Lee, arrives home later that afternoon, and for some reason, Erin is not in the mood to deal with his enthusiasm upon his return. She notices how he greets his own children with hugs and excitement and just tells her, "Hey!" Then, he casually walks around the house as if he has done his fatherly duty of rarely being home and providing for all, only to realize Erin is not as eager to see him. Both appear surprised at how she responds to his arrival for the weekend with her mom still yet to make it home.