Chapter 3: The Awkward Dinner

Erin is feeling awkward. She reveals how much she does not trust her step-father, Lee. Perhaps it is due to how her own mother reacts to what he tells her about Erin. This may be typical in blended families where one's natural children, who have faced a divorce of their own parents, experience a sense of estrangement and even loneliness.

Her family is headed out to a restaurant to enjoy dinner on a Friday night. It appears every one who is responsible for the well-being of little kids are finally getting a break after enduring the hardship of a move to a new neighborhood. Erin, however, is dreading a talk with her parents after she just lashed out at Lee. She soon comes to realize the real relationship she will always have will be with her very own mother, Ana Maria.

Erin thinks she knows her mother but she may feel as if she has chosen the side of her second husband when it comes to parenting. Though her mom has her plate full with working, taking care of two young children and a teenager, and running a household, she makes an effort to understand Erin's uncertainties and insecurities.

Perhaps Erin does not understand how her mom is trying to make an effort. She quickly folds and turns inward, only to feel awkward toward the one person who should know her the best. Though there may be other factors, such as fatigue and depression which may be playing a role in why Erin feels ousted, it will be up to Erin to accept where she is in her life during her current moment.