Donnie x Reader (Songfic)

Dedicated to @__Radiodemon

Title: Back to December

Warning: pls ignore spelling errors or anything im running on ten minutes of sleep and four monsters- i can barely see straight

~I'm so glad you made time to see me. How's life- tell me how's your family? I haven't seen them in a while.~

I sighed and shut off my phone, tossing it onto the bed next to me as I stood up and made my way over to the window that covered the entire wall of my bedroom. As I gazed out into the city that I now called home, I scoffed at myself, realizing what I was doing.

He hated being bothered. And what was I doing? Bothering him. All the time.

Though, I couldn't help it- he needed to hear what I had to say. He needed to know why I did what I did. Though I doubt he'd care- he always was too smart for everything but love- when that one thing came along, he was hopeless at it. The one thing his brain couldn't solve for him.

The one problem he couldn't solve with a simple equation. And what was I doing? Making it harder and harder for him to get over me- like he wanted. Why was I so persistent on getting him to talk to me? I didn't even know. Did I still love him? Possibly- it's not like I ever stopped.

Did I feel bad? Of course. So why was there this huge knot in my stomach whenever I thought of him actually picking up the phone on one of the three instances I called him a day? I didn't want to think about it. Instead, I just closed my curtain- eloping me into darkness- and wandered back over to my bed, throwing myself down as I stared into the darkness, hoping that my phone would light up the black hole that surrounded me.

~You've been good- busier than ever. We small talk- work and the weather. Your guard is up and I know why.~

At the sound of his phone buzzing, Donnie sighed and pulled his goggles up, resting them on top of his head as he rested his chin in his palm to listen.

"Hey, Donnie. Uh, how have you been? How's your family? April and Casey? Anyways, I just called- again- to ask you to call me back. Please. Don't let it end like this. You know I've always lov-" Donnie threw his phone at the wall, not caring as it hit the wall and then the ground, shattering and then breaking upon impact. He didn't care though- he would have it fixed just in time for her to make her next voicemail. It was always like that- (y/n) calling him and Donnie never picking up but shattering his phone whenever she started saying that she loved him and regretted what she had said to him when she left.

If she regretted it so much then why would she say it in the first place?

Donnie never understood how people could talk without realizing what they were saying- he always knew what to say. Someone was halfway through a sentence and he was already forming the perfect response- which is why it hurt so much when (y/n) left the way she did.

He just didn't understand why she would call him the one word he hated so much.

Shaking his head, he turned back to his desk, pulling his goggles down as he got to tinkering on a new invention, deciding to leave the phone alone for the time being.

(Y/n) could wait.

~Because the last time you saw me is still burned in the back of your mind. You gave me roses and I left them there to die.~