Chapter Four

The Claim

-JACK-

Ara was beautifully distracting. Which was a problem when you were trying to get your ship out of the dock before the town could steal back what you had taken great effort to steal. And that red-headed scallywag* had no idea how to lift the sails, which was threatening to destroy our escape before we had even begun to move.

 And that red-headed scallywag* had no idea how to lift the sails, which was threatening to destroy our escape before we had even begun to move

She struggled with the ropes, fingers fumbling in a mad dash to get the sails to obey. But we were out of time, and I dashed to the side of the ship, on the verge of taking on dozens of drunken seadogs* who currently eyed the breathtaking distraction behind me, who had proven to be more of a problem than she was worth. 

"Tug 'em down! Tie the ropes 'round that," I motioned  as I yanked my sword free, "and steer us out of 'ere!" I shouted over my shoulder, hoping that she could manage the task fast enough to keep me from getting killed. 

My father had been an excellent swordsman, up until he was stuck through, destroying his life and his reputation as an undefeated gentleman all in a single moment. I refused to fall to the same fate. 

Vax and the others crowded around the dock, staring up at me with over-focused expressions, attempting to keep their balance after too many mugs of ale. 

"Give us the wench.*" The angry man who had tried to touch Ara scowled. 

I had assumed they had come for the money, but apparently, my theft hadn't been noticed yet. I gripped my sword tighter, counting the men, assessing how many I could fight alone. "She isn't a prize mate. Nor a booty* to claim as yers," I replied.

"It wasn't a request..." The man growled, stumbling a step closer. "Pass 'er this way, and we won't throw ye into the briny deep.*

I had taken my father's lessons, living my life by the sword. But I had refused the reckless decision-making that was interwoven with it, never pushed myself to use my full set of skills. Instead, I had always taken to fighting smarter, not stronger. A well-known fighter had many enemies. An area I needed little help in. I didn't need any more targets on my back.

But at that moment, I was about to become a daft imbecile, throwing away a life of cautionary thievery, to save a girl who couldn't even pull up a set of sails. What a waste. Damn that pretty lass! 

I stared down at the men with a cold, daring smile, tossing my sword back and forth, with practiced ease. "Can't claim what ye can't take." 

The taunt sent the men moving, scrambling towards the ship, red-faced and swords raised. The Angry Man got to me first, sword glistening in the moonlight, swinging towards my head. 

---

Thank you for reading chapter four! I hope you are enjoying the story! Or are at least curious to see where it goes! Add this story to your reading list to know when the next chapter drops!

UPDATE DAYS - A NEW CHAPTER EVERY SUNDAY!

Pirate Words:

Scallywag - Newbie Pirate

Seadogs - Experienced Pirates

Wench - Lady

Booty - Treasure/ Prize

Briny Deep - The ocean depths

Lass - Lady