Chapter Seven

The Deal

-ARA-

Everything hurt. A sensation I didn't understand until the memory of my first day as a human yanked me from a deep sleep in a bed I did not recognize. 

Stumbling to my feet, I scanned the room, wary of the unfamiliar place. Everything had a designated spot, maps hung perfectly straight, and notes were written in clean lines. An impressive feat for a room that was in constant motion, teetering across the sea. 

I tucked away the image of an organized man living in a chaotic world, as I made my way above deck. 

The sun peaked above the horizon, bleeding the world a human red. "Yer awake," Jack said, eyes on the water, back to me. 

He turned, raising a brow. "Don't be shocked. I know every sound that doesn't belong on me ship." 

I pursed my lips, staring him down, bristling as he stared back, unphased. Almost like he had completely forgotten what I had done the night before. Why aren't you wary of me?

"Do you expect me to cower?" He adjusted the wheel before walking towards me.

"I expected you to have a healthy dose of fear." I challenged.

He stopped a foot away, a dangerous smile crossing his lips. "Ye clearly 'ave never met a pirate. We aren't afraid of anythin'. It makes us good at thievin'." 

The wind picked up, sending his hair reaching across his features, cutting across his eyes, and sending the smell of cedar wafting off his body.

Jack walked back to the wheel. "So, it would seem ye have a bit of power under yer control." He took his place at the wheel. "What do ye plan on doin' with it?"

The question was weighted. A test. My answer would determine if I got thrown overboard or earned a potential ally. I desperately needed the latter. I walked to the railing, staring at the water, suddenly homesick for the world below. Not until I can take what is mine.

"I plan on ruling the ocean," I said across the water, as much as an answer as a vow. I turned back to Jack. "I would like you to teach me how to wield a sword."

I needed to learn more than fight. But I could tell by his sudden change, the guarded phrases, the dangerous smiles, that we were both hiding secrets. And my lack of human experience was one secret I was not going to share. Not with a man who could so easily change his mind and leave me for dead. We were sharks circling each other, assessing the other for weaknesses. 

A ghost of a smile crossed Jack's face, seeming pleased by my answer. He pulled out his sword, tossing it to me hilt first. "Well then, let's get started."

---

Thank you for reading! If you enjoyed this short story, let me know in the inline comments here! --->

If you want a longer version of this story, let me know! (I just might make that happen!)