Chapter Five

The Magic

-ARA-

Angry Hermit Crab clashed his sword with Jack's, the sound ringing out into the crisp air like a battle cry. Angry Hermit Crab was fast, but Jack was faster. A dangerous, deadly dancer striking like a stingray before becoming a mere flash of movement,  jumping back to avoid a blow.

He was graceful, taking on a second fighter while I continued to struggle with the ropes. I was clearly performing to high standards as a human so far.

When a third man scrambled onto the ship and dodged Jack, bolting towards me, I decided that being fully human was overrated. I had the power of the sea below, and it was time to use it.

Water mirrors the world. It is blue because the sky is. It sparks with color because the world above it does. It can become violent from one moment to the next because the weather around it provokes it into action. And as the sun tucks itself away, leaving the world dark, so does the water, turning ink-black until something with color and light inspires it like a canvas, waiting to portray the world in ripples and waves. And today, I was the painter, ready to wield my canvas, bend it into a violent storm created in my image.

Jumping back from the man, I spun and touched the jewelry I had woven into my hair, the jewels stolen from my fathers crown, now hidden under several locks close to my temple. I felt the magic, strong and aluring pulse through my fingers and giving in to the tug, I waved my arms above my head, demanding the ocean lend me her gift.

Swirls of water flashed across the moonlight as strands, whipped into my hands and curled around my fingertips, ready to be used. The man froze, in awe of the sudden magic that wove between my fingers.

"Witch!" he balked, stumbling backward, terrified.

I pulled more water from over the side of the ship with my mind, until a large wave hovered above the ship. I had seen my father bend water before, but I had little knowledge of how it was done. No turning back now.

Taking a steady breath, focusing on the men surrounding Jack, I let go of my mental hold, sending the water crashing onto the deck. It shoved the men over the side, leaving none untouched. I scrambled for Jack, yanking him to a stop by his tunic, cloth ripping in my hands as I scrambled for skin, anything to keep him from following the others as they fell into a pile on the dock.

Yanking him back over, he hit the deck, air cracking from his body in a startled cry. Then he sat, looking at me with an expression of fear and awe.

Then, before the men could collect themselves, and climb back aboard, I urged the ship out of the dock, waves licking at the ship, tugging her forward into the open oceans greedy arms. The power left me feeling weak, exhausted, and lightheaded. A side effect of the power being used by a human? I wasn't sure. But I didn't have time to find out before collapsing to the ground.

"Ara!" Jack shouted. Then, my world went dark, the last of my energy gone.

---

Thank you for reading chapter five! I hope you are enjoying the story! Or are at least curious to see where it goes! Add this story to your reading list to know when the next chapter drops!

UPDATE DAYS - A NEW CHAPTER EVERY SUNDAY!