4. Going Back

Now, he's started shaving daily and it always grows back either overnight or the same day. It's the day we go to court for custody of Charlie and I. Usually, I would be able to choose, but if Dad is seen as unfit I don't have one anymore. I went in there and said that the Santa Claus thing was a joke because of how he started to look and I explained that to Charlie. He's in there now with the judge.

I'm bouncing my leg and staring off into space, thinking about what would happen if they took me from Dad. All of a sudden Dad runs in with a full beard and white hair, "Where's Charlie? I want to talk to him."

"He's with the judge," Mom tells him, honestly. The door of the judges room opens and Charlie runs straight to Dad.

"Dad!" Dad catches him and picks him up. "It's all okay. I told the judges everything about you and the North Pole," Charlie whispers. I put my head in my hands. It's not his fault he's only 7, but I just wish he didn't say that.

Dad looked pretty sad, knowing what was coming. The judge invites us in to tell us the verdict. "After reviewing all of your testimonies, I've come to a very difficult decision. I'm sorry to do this in light of the holiday season. But in the best interest of the children, I'm granting the petition of Dr. and Mrs. Miller. Mr. Calvin as of today all of your visitation rights are suspended, pending a hearing after the first of the year," the judge announces. Charlie and I both start crying. Mom tries to hug me, but I push her away. She takes me to their house and I run up to my room and lock the door.

I hold the snowflake up to my face, "Bernard, I know it's close to Christmas, but please, I need you," I beg. I cry and wait. I waited for about 15 minutes before I gave up hope, it was fake. He's not coming. I turn over on my bed and cry even harder into my pillow. I feel someone sitting next to me and I look up.

"Hey, snowflake," he smiles sadly at me.

"They took me away from my father," I told him.

"I know," he answers and holds me close to his chest. I cry for a while into his shoulder before pulling away.

"Gods, I'm sorry. I'm a mess, you shouldn't see me like this," I start getting up to walk away, but he pulls me back down.

"I don't care what you look like, you'll always be beautiful to me," he smiles. He stays and he holds me until I fall asleep.

~

It's Thanksgiving, which means soon I'll be able to go back to the North Pole. If I can escape Neal and my mom that is. They've been keeping a close eye on me just in case. We all sit down to eat and Charlie places his snowglobe on the table. He never goes anywhere without it. We hear a ring on the doorbell and Neal goes to answer it.

"Scott. You're not supposed to be here," Charlie and I perk up hearing our dad and run to the door.

"Don't make me beat you up, Neal."

"Oh, would Santa really beat someone up?" Neal antagonizes him.

"I'm this close," Dad says with his finger a hair apart from each other.

"So you still believe you're Santa?" Neal asks.

"I don't know," Dad confesses.

"What do you mean you don't know? Of course you are, Dad. How can you say that? Think of all those kids."

"Bernard would be disappointed," I jokingly shake my head.

"The only kids I'm thinking about are you and your sister," Dad answers Charlie.

"Dad, we're fine. You can't let them down. They all believe in you!" Charlie persuades.

"Charlie, listen," Neal says softly.