24- Apologize

Not really knowing what to expect when you open the door, nothing could've prepared you to see Nanami in that state.

To see him on the hospital bed. In a hospital gown. With wires and tubes surrounding him. His face is bruised and bloody and there's scratches all over him.

You don't dare to take a step toward him.

Just a peek at him makes you cry. You fall down to the floor, your head falling into your hands, covering your face while you weep.

Gojo squats down to you, holding you as you cry. He shushes your silent sobs and your loud sniffles.

It feels hard to breathe.

"I can't see him yet. I'm not ready." You speak through the cries.

"Okay, let's go." Gojo helps you up, leading you back out the door.

He takes you to the nearest bench, sitting you down and then walking away. He returns with napkins and holds them out for you. You take them and begin to wipe your face.

After sitting in silence for a bit, you finally find the courage to ask what's been on your mind. "How did this happen?"

Gojo looks at you, making sure you're okay. You nod at him. "He's been acting a little different ever since you left. I wasn't really sure what happened because he wouldn't speak to me. When you were around, he always seemed happier but these past few days he's been more quieter than usual. He's been busying himself with lots of work and taking on lots of missions."

You try to hold back your tears as Gojo continues talking.

"Today, he went on a mission that was supposed to have more than one jujutsu sorcerer helping, all by himself. We tried to stop him but he seemed so out of it. I guess he just couldn't focus and he wouldn't listen to us. He got hurt pretty bad by the curse user he was supposed to fight."

A wave of guilt rushes over you as you hear how Nanami got like this.

"This is all my fault." Your head falls into your hands again. "If only I didn't hurt him, he would be okay. I'm the reason he's here."

Gojo rubs your back. You can feel his eyes on you. "Whatever happened between you guys is not your fault. Nanami is a grown man. He can pull himself back together."

"But I'm the reason he fell apart in the first place. I hurt him."

"I don't think Nanami feels that way at all. I wish you could see the way his expression changes whenever you get brought up. He truly cares for you. And if he saw you blaming yourself for this right now, he would... probably punch me, honestly. But just out of anger."

You chuckle at Gojo's remark. Wiping the tears off your cheek, you smile at Gojo. "Thank you. I definitely played a part in this but I'm willing to do whatever to make it up to him."

"Ah.. younglings in love. How sweet." Gojo sighs, leaning back on the bench, swinging his leg over the other. Looking at you, he speaks, "If you really want to make it up to him, just be by his side right now."

You nod, standing up and walking back towards his room. You take one big deep breath before walking in again.

This time, you're able to make it all the way to his bed. You take a look at Nanami's beaten up face and feel your stomach turn. It still hurts to see him like this but right now crying won't help. You pull up a chair by his bed. Seeing his hand with an IV coming out of it, you hold on tightly, interlocking your fingers with his.

You stare at him as he sleeps unconsciously. With your other hand, you move the hair out of his face, softly caressing his cheek.

"Nanami," You whisper to his sleeping body, "I missed you so much. I'm so sorry. I never should've left. I should've told you everything. I'm sorry you ended up like this. Just please... please wake up for me."