Chapter 8 - Girlfriend of the Year

After Oikawa and I made it official, I was no longer afraid of the rest of the school finding out.

He held my hand through the halls and kissed me before practices.

Sure, I got death glares but I also have a mean death glare and while girls still crowded him, I didn't let it bother me knowing that at the end of the day, it was me he was coming back to.

With the tournament around the corner, the boys practiced more than ever. As for the newspaper club, we were also busy finalizing articles for the last edition of the year. For all of us third-years, these last few months were also about planning for our future.

Oikawa was asked to join some practices with college players and not surprisingly, he always did well.

Despite our busy schedules, Monday's were our days to spend with each other and we cherished those days. This upcoming Monday, I was especially excited because I had a HUGE surprise for him.

Yuri and I attended the boys last practice for the week and waited outside for them to finish up. Iwa and Oikawa exited the building and met up with us.

"I'm so excited you guys! You are going to kill it in a few weeks!" Yuri said excitedly.

"Thanks Yuri!" Oikawa said while Iwa smiled.

"Hey Iwa-Chan, let's go get some drinks! I'm thirsty!" Yuri says again knowing I was eager to tell Oikawa about my surprise.

"I'm not thirsty though." Iwa says.

"Yeah you are." Yuri laughs, grabbing his arm to pull him in the other direction.

After watching them walk away, Oikawa and I turned to look at each other. Like always, he kissed me on the forehead before asking me about my day.

"It was alright...buuuut I have actually been really excited to talk to you. I kind of have a surprise..." I said blushing.

"Oh really?" He smirked. "What is it?" He says moving the hair over my shoulder to my back.

"Well...you know how my dad is a translator so he travels around a lot?" I asked.

"Yes..." he answered, slightly confused.

"So a couple weeks ago, he had to travel to Argentina for work and while he was there, he ran into someone." I said, hardly able to contain my excitement.

Oikawa continued to look at me with an adorably confused look.

"Jose Blanco." I smiled.

Oikawa's face turned from confused to shocked. During one of our interviews, Oikawa told me about a game he and Iwaizumi watched when they were younger and he was amazed by Jose Blanco, a professional volleyball player from Argentina.

My father's job allowed him to meet all kinds of different people, especially those in Argentina since that's where he is from.

"My dad and him are good friends and they meet from time to time when my dad visits Argentina. After you and I started getting to know each other, my dad told him about you. Turns out he will be in Japan for something next week and...he wants to meet you." I told him eager to see his reaction.

His shocked face grew red and I could tell his breathing became uneven.

"Mia...are you serious?! I...how...this is amazing!" He says with the biggest smile.

All of a sudden he picked me up to hug me, and it made me feel so happy to see him so excited.

"He is coming over for dinner on Monday, so if you can be there maybe around 5?" I asked after he set me back down.

"Yeah, that's perfect. I'll be there."

Oikawa walked me home and on the way, he couldn't stop talking about how excited he was. I'd never seen him this happy and it made me happy to see him this way. The way his face lit up made me blush.

At the entrance of my house, Oikawa thanked me and we kissed before parting ways.

•••

Monday evening, I felt all the nerves. I wanted this night to go well and I wanted Oikawa to be happy. I couldn't stop thinking about it all day.

However, all the nerves seemingly vanished from my body as soon as I answered the door to find my boyfriend dressed up and handsome as can be standing at my front door, complete with that adorable smile he has that instantly wins people over. I had nothing to be worried about.

Dinner went amazing. Oikawa, not surprisingly, didn't shy away from claiming all of his victories during his volleyball career and I happily backed him up when I could.

Mr. Blanco was impressed and asked if he could come to a practice the next time Oikawa was with the college players, which he happily accepted.

The night ended with Oikawa exchanging emails with his hero. Mr. Blanco's personal email, might I add.
•••
Author's Note:

Hi besties :) Short chapter today! Figured it was time to start to laying ground for our big trip to Argentina! Fun fact about me: I, myself, am part Argentinian! Probably why I am a ✨little✨ bias when it comes to Oikawa being my favorite character in Haikyuu. I also kin him big time.

I also wanted to touch on the Awkward Encounter chapter...I mentioned Kageyama dating a girl from Nekoma. This is a little Easter egg to another story I have in the works with Kageyama. I also have a rough outline going with a Kuroo romance story and now that I am rewatching Haikyu for a third time and on season 4...I'd also like to write one for Atsumu. Since all these stories take place in the same universe, I'd like to tie them in with each other occasionally. For example, there is a point in Kageyama's story and Kuroo's story where Mia shows up.

I hope you guys are enjoying this story so far and I'm looking forward to these next few chapters and having a little more creative freedom with Oikawa's Argentina journey.

Love you guys ❤️
NissUchiha