Chapter 1

Ramona's POV

After three long days of constant walking, me and my family finally set up camp by a small river. Fernando and Arlo collected some large logs and placed them in a wonky circle for us to sit and talk on. I plonked myself on a log and began crying my eyes out and Sofia followed suit. Eventually all of the Castillos had began breaking down and sobbing except for our Abuela. Who stared at the ground and shook her head in disbelief.

Abuela must've been getting deja vu. You see, the same thing happened to her years and years ago when my mother was still a baby. Her home had been raided and her family killed. She had had to flee the only home she'd ever known all by herself since her and her friend Alma had been separated. 

Luckily, when she sat and cried by a tree she was blessed with a miracle in candle form. The miracle gave her a place to stay along with some other villagers. The miracle created mountains and forests around her little magical village. She was given a magical home or "Casita" as we'd affectionately names it. Me and the rest of my family was raised in "Casita" we'd known no other home. Until the raiders came.

The same raiders who pillaged Abuela's home had navigated their way to our village despite the treacherous mountains and giant forests. They stole everyone's belongings and set fire to every building. Usually i wouldn't be scared of fire, since i control it, but this fire was new. It was wild and destructive and had no limitations. It was equally as beautiful as it was terrifying. The only thing we were able to save was our miracle candle. The thing that created our home.

And now we had to trust it to help us find a new one.

After the sobbing was silence. Every Castillo was staring at the ground. Emotionless. Until Abuela spoke up. She looked up at all of us her family and smiled with genuine happiness.

"My family, we have lost everything." she exclaimed. We hung our heads even lower than before in sorrow.

"Except ourselves." We looked around at each other and smiled. Not everything was lost after all.

"I trusted our miracle before and it lead me to prosperity, now we must trust it again. Amanda, please bring me the candle." My mother handed the glowing candle to Abuela. Once in Abuela's hands it shone brighter. 

"Castillo's gather round!" She yelled. We stood up of our logs and crowded around her and the candle. We smiled at each other and knew what Abuela wanted us to do.

We all put a hand or finger on the miracle. We put all of our energy into the miracle, praying that it would save us. We closed our eyes and waited for something to happen. A blinding yellow light shone from the miracle. We open our eyes in amazement. The candle's light created a beam through the trees that we knew we must follow. We all began following Abuela, who was now leading us towards where the candle was pointing to. 

After a few minutes of walking we found our selves on the top of a mountain. Downhill however, was a town like ours surrounded by mountains. My mother cried in thankfulness and Tia Cecilia and Tio Arlo began hugging and yelling thanks towards the miracle. My older sister, Sofia hugged me and the rest of the Castillos were showing thanks in one way or another. 

"WOOHOO, HELL YEAH BABY!" Yelled Fernando at the top of his lungs.

"Umm how are we going to get down there?" Asked Elena with a worried look on her face. We looked down and realised how steep the mountainside is.

DOLORES MADRIGAL POV:

"SHHHHH" I said more loudly than i would have liked but either way it shut the family up. Lunchtime is usually a loud time of the day since i can hear almost everyone in the Encanto eating their food along with my extra large and extraordinary family. Everyone fell silent and looked at me eager to know what I heard.

"The mountains!" i said more softly.

"What about them, Prima?" Asked my younger cousin Mirabel looking equally concerned and excited.

"There's a family on the mountains! They are yelling and crying really loudly!" I looked around at the shocked expressions of my my fellow Madrigals. My mother had a big grey storm cloud over her head. Maybe i shouldn't have said anything.

"A family? Are you sure that's what you heard? This would be the first time anyone had come over those mountains." Abuela questioned, obviously still skeptical yet shocked all the same.

"Well what are you waiting for lets go meet them!" Mirabel exclaimed, jumping out of her seat.

"Sit down Mirabel! No ones meeting anyone until Dolores can assure us thats what she heard." Yelled Abuela, obviously upset with Mirabel's eagerness.

"Mhm thats what Im hearing. Oooh wait! They are trying to find a way to get down the mountain and come into town. They sound very excited." i say reassuring everyone there are outsiders on the mountain.

"Antonio, send some birds to the mountain to see if they are  a threat." And with those words Little Antonio sent five toucans to look for the family and then report back. We all sat impatiently waiting for the birds to return while i listened in on the family's plan to get down the mountain.

I'll admit, the family's ideas were pretty funny. I was trying to contain my giggles when I heard one of the family members suggest that someone named "Amanda" could create a giant sled for all of them using her gift. WAIT they had gifts too?

Authors note:

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING THE FIRST PART OF MY ENCANTO FIC PLEASE COMMENT AND VOTE <3 

IM WILLING TO RECEIVE SOME HELPFUL TIPS FOR FUTURE CHAPTERS IN THE COMMENTS SO PLEASE COMMENT

LOVE YOU BYE! MWAH <3